PROFILE | ACTIVE TOPICS | SEARCH | FAQ
 All Forums
 FoodFit Community
 Well Aware
 Eat every three hours and you will lose weight
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topictopic nav Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

fattyfatty2x4

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  11:42:27 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
From the website:

http://www.3hourdiet.com/home/index.php?page=HIW3

This article/plan smacks a bit of a “snake oil” cure all. The premise is that if you eat every 3 hours you will loose weight. I know for a fact that if I feel full I eat less, but I cannot back it up with any fancy info like this. What do you guys think?

Eat every three hours and you will lose weight - starting with belly fat first.

Studies suggest that people who eat the right foods every three hours lose fat around their middle first! Why? Because WHEN you eat is critical for increasing your energy, suppressing appetite and lowering the levels of cortisol, the belly bulging hormone!

A major study at the Department of Medicine at the University of Toronto showed that by increasing the frequency of when you eat for just two weeks, subjects reduced the their levels of Cortisol by 17% {1}. This study showed that a diet made up of smaller and more frequent meals not only lowered the levels of Cortisol, but also reduced levels of insulin and cholesterol.

By following the 3-Hour Diet™ and reducing the level of Cortisol in your body, it becomes easier to lose stubborn Belly Fat First™. By eating three meals, two between-meal snacks and an after-dinner treat under the 3-Hour Diet™ plan you will not only lose an average of 2 pounds per week, but you will improve your levels of insulin and cholesterol.

{1} Nibbling vs. Gorging: Metabolic Advantages if Increased Meal Frequency by D. Jenkins, et. al. (1999); Department of Medicine, University of Toronto

* Three is the magic number because by going more than three hours between meals puts your body in a starvation mode and cause you to burn precious fat burning muscle. But by eating every three hours your metabolism stays revved and reduces the stress hormone cortisol, which is responsible for stubborn belly fat.

2x4 ~ CW:150+ ~ GW for now: below 140 ~ I think I can! I think I can!

Report To Moderator

Jodi

9 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  12:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I've heard that too. But it's a little dangerous~ you could lose track of what you're eating and develop a grazing habit. Also, for this to work you need tons of self- and portion-control.

That said, looks to me like you stumbled on an ad for a fad-diet.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

khachan

1 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  3:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Will eating every three hours make one lose weight?

Absolutely this is correct. When we take in food (small amounts) every three hours the metabolism is stimulated (your burning calories!) so in the long run you WILL lose weight. When we don't eat past four hours, the body reaches starvation mode; this is when your body thinks no more calories (or food) is available so it hangs on to every fatty (adipose) tissue you have to use it for energy afterwords.

So eat a small meal every three hours and AVOID starvation mode because this SLOWS THE METABOLISM AND HALTS fat loss. When I say "Small Meal" I mean enough food to make you not feel hungry anymore...do not get to the feeling of fullness...just satisfaction as in no more hunger;) Try this method commonly called 'grazing' and see how much weight you lose in one month.

Best Wishes
Shawn

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

DixieBelle

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  12:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
That's the way I lost all my weight. I'd have a light breakfast as soon as I got out of bed...could be anything from a mini bagel with light cream cheese to a cup of fruit with fat free yogurt. Then about two and a half to three hours later, a light snack, like a granola bar. Then, two hours later, lunch. Lunch is usually my big meal of the day. Then, about two hours later, another snack, something like a small bag of pretzels or veggie crisps, or I might go get a small bowl of fruit from the produce department (if I'm working that day). Finally, two hours later, it's dinnertime. I usually have a light dinner because I do like to have dessert. And dessert doesn't need to be sweet...it could be the old fruit and yogurt!

Rom. 8:28

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use