PROFILE | ACTIVE TOPICS | SEARCH | FAQ
 All Forums
 FoodFit Community
 Calories Count
 calorie recommendations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topictopic nav Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

hulagirl

1 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  01:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I haven't ever bothered to count calories in the past, but am inspired after reading through most of this site. I have a question though. Based on my profile, I was given a recommendation of 1750 as a daily calorie intake. This seems high to me. Has anyone out there followed the recommendations and reached your desired goals? Also, what does the number listed as "your score" refer to?

Report To Moderator

Jules12

1 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  8:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am having the same problem. When i calculate my BMR anywhere else it says i should eat about 1600-1700 calories, but the suggestion for this program is 2250. Not only that, but I also calculated my healthy weight on foodfit.com and it told me in order to reach my goal weight i need to eat about 1700 calories. So the program is contradicting itself and i don't know what to do about it because all of my meal plans are based on a 2250 calorie daily intake and i know that won't help me lose weight. Any suggestions or tricks on how to work the program would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Bigbear

2 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  12:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jules12

I am having the same problem. When i calculate my BMR anywhere else it says i should eat about 1600-1700 calories, but the suggestion for this program is 2250. Not only that, but I also calculated my healthy weight on foodfit.com and it told me in order to reach my goal weight i need to eat about 1700 calories. So the program is contradicting itself and i don't know what to do about it because all of my meal plans are based on a 2250 calorie daily intake and i know that won't help me lose weight. Any suggestions or tricks on how to work the program would be greatly appreciated. thanks

For starters, depending on where you are measuring your BMR, you need to be careful on the questions that they ask. Most will ask the basic questions, like your height, weight and maybe your activity level. Your BMR based on just these probably wont be correct. Most people overestimate their activity level, resulting in yur BMR being a higher number. Second, the site is not contradicting itself. If I understand this correctly, your BMR was 2250, which means you can eat 2250 calories and maintain your weight. But, in order to reach your goal weight, you can eat 1700 calories. This would give you a cut of about 3500 calories a week = a pound lost at the end of the week. There are no tricks to be taught, eat a healthy and colorful diet and exercise. By doing this, you'll feel great in no time, and eventually, you outward appearance will match the way you feel inside.
Best of luck to you. I hope I helped, at least a little!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

stephroses

2 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  6:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I checked mine a while ago and now I can't remember where I got this number, but for my age, height, weight (22, 5'7, 179) it said to maintain weight I should be at about 1650, to lose weight I should be at 1540 and to lose I should be at 1420. I've been on this calorie intake with exercise 3x a week for almost 2 weeks and the first week I lost 3 lbs, this week nothing, so... But I'm going to stay with it and pray I can get into my dress for my sister's wedding in February (I only have another 10 lbs or so to lose for that). I was hoping to fit into my goal jeans, but that won't happen. :)

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

linda124222@aol.com

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  3:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am glad I am not the only one. I was told 1750. I can't eat that much.
Linda

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjen01

3 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  01:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Just calorie counting will not get you to the promised land of losing weight. It needs to be the right food.

Here are some dietary recommendations for losing weight from Jigsaw Health, a website dedicated to advice and remedies for certain conditions -- http://www.jigsawhealth.com/articles/obesity-dietary.html

* Eat more fiber. Fiber gives you a satiated feeling, helping you to curb food cravings. It also keeps your colon healthy, and aids in proper digestion. Research has shown that obesity puts you at higher risk for colorectal cancer, primarily due to a low-fiber, high-calorie, processed food diet. Incorporate ground flax seed in smoothies, soups, and favorite cereals to increase your fiber intake.
* Skip the low-fat food products. Most of the low-fat, processed foods in grocery stores are typically high-carb foods that are loaded with sugar, salt, artificial sweeteners, and synthetic fat substitutes. Many of these ingredients cause weight gain, rather than reduce it. Read more about food ingredients.
* Add virgin coconut oil to your diet. The natural saturated fat in virgin coconut oil can help stabilize blood sugar levels, facilitate proper thyroid function, and aid in weight loss.
* Eat more vegetables and fruits. Not only are they a good source of fiber, but they contain many naturally occurring vitamins, minerals, and amino acids necessary for maintaining optimal health and weight. Watch out for fruit juices, they often contain added sugars that can increase your calorie intake dramatically. Opt for water, or diluted fruit juice (three quarters water and one quarter juice).
* Don’t skip breakfast. Fasting activates the starvation response, slowing your metabolism and increasing the chances that excess fat will be stored to fuel your nutrient-depleted body. Studies now show that women who eat cereal for breakfast maintained their weight better than those who skipped breakfast. The plus of whole grain cereal is that it is a low-calorie, fiber-rich food.3 Obese people tend to lack necessary fiber in their diets.
* Eat frequent meals. Eating five to six small meals throughout the day helps to speed up your metabolism. On the other hand, eating large meals only once or twice a day will actually slow down your metabolism.

Other dietary recommendations:

* Choose high-quality, organic, hormone- and antibiotic-free “grass-fed” meats.
* Increase your omega-3 essential fatty acids by selecting wild-caught salmon, minimal-mercury tuna, and fish oil.
* Choose organic, cage-free eggs.
* Choose unpasteurized, raw dairy items that have live, active cultures (probiotics), such as yogurt and kefir.
* Choose sprouted foods such as sprouted whole-grain bread and sprouted nuts and seeds. Read more about the importance of sprouting nuts.
* Drink plenty of purified water throughout the day. Chronic dehydration can slow down metabolism.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use