PROFILE | ACTIVE TOPICS | SEARCH | FAQ
 All Forums
 FoodFit Community
 Well Aware
 a nutrition/ingredient label check discovery
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topictopic nav Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

teschmidt

2 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  8:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I was looking at the ingredients of a box of wheat crackers. Instead of the usual "hydrogenated oil" or "partially hydrogenated oil" in the ingredients, it listed "interesterified oil."

I have no idea what this is and if it is healthy. Does anyone else knowledge of this term. I would surely appreciate being educated.

Report To Moderator

teschmidt

2 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  11:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This is what I found so far:

FDA OKAYS NEW TERM FOR ADM'S INTERESTIFIED PRODUCTS

The US Food and Drug Administration has approved the use of the term “interesterified soybean oil” on product labels of Archer Daniels Midland Co.’s (ADM) products containing Novalipids™ oils and shortenings, according to INFORM report. After requesting clarification from the FDA regarding the appropriate labeling description of enzymatically interesterified oils and shortening, ADM was advised that interesterified fats containing a stearate content of greater than 20% may be properly labeled as “interesterified soybean oil,” with the possible additional descriptor of “high in stearic acid” or “stearate rich.”

This designation for ADM’s interesterified ingredients will allow customers to replace the term “hydrogenated”, which is perceived increasingly by consumers as being unhealthy, with the term “interesterified” when describing these ingredient declaration. ADM’s interesterified fats are produced from fully hydrogenated soybean oil, which is then interesterified with conventional soybean oil to produce a product without the trans fatty acid content of partially hydrogenated fats.

Still doesn't sound very healthy. Does anyone understand this fully?!..I hate it when they try to trick the consumer :o(

Edited by - teschmidt on 01/08/2007 12:02:42 AM

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Suzy

88 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  2:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I haven't run across this term yet on labels, but it sounds to me just a way to be able to use hydrogenated and partially hyrodgenated oils and we that eat the products will feel safe about doing it.

Suzy

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

nancywalker

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  4:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Interesterified fats are oils, such as soybean oil, that have been chemically modified. This is done in order to make them more solid, less liable to go rancid and more stable for applications such as deep frying. Recent research has shown that interesterified fats may be even worse for us than trans-fats. Nutrition and Metabolism reported in its January 2007 issue that after only 4 weeks, interesterified fats not only adversely affected HDL and LDL, they also lowered blood insulin levels by 22% and raised fasting glucose levels by as much as 20%. With results like these, the health implications surrounding interesterified fats seem sobering.

Nancy Walker
Healthy Eating, Vibrant Living!
www.Veg4Health.com

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

shel7435

10 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  9:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sounds like they caught on that people are looking at labels more and rejecting anything hydrogenated and so they want to rename it and trick people. I think all those foods should have a little warning label on them!

Mmm, broccoli...again.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use