PROFILE | ACTIVE TOPICS | SEARCH | FAQ
 All Forums
 FoodFit Community
 Fast and Fit -- NEW!
 Can a busy family REALLY do this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topictopic nav Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

bbjohnson

1 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  6:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
My family is just getting started on this plan. I've been looking for some (inexpensive) menus to follow, since I have absolutely no imagination when it comes to menu planning. I have two teenage daughters with part-time jobs and a husband who travels during the week. Needless to say, I haven't done much cooking lately. With people in and out, including myself, how do we follow this plan and find the time to do all this cooking?

Report To Moderator

DixieBelle

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  4:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You don't have to do "all this cooking." You can eat out, occasionally (don't be afraid to ask for nutritional information). You can purchase some frozen entrees like Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine. There are even some organic frozen entrees if you're into that (I personally prefer organic but sometimes that's not an option for me).

Also, there are tons of cookbooks out there with meals that can be made with little time involved. One of my favorites is Fix It and Forget it Lightly: Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker by Phyllis Pellman Good. Another one that I like is the Busy People's Lowfat Cookbook by Dawn Hall.

With the Fix it and Forget it Lightly cookbook, you do need a slow cooker. If you don't have one, invest in one. The one I purchased was $35 but if you consider the fact that you really don't have to worry about it while you're away and that it keeps the food warm so others can get it when they come in, it's worth it.

Now for the Busy People's Lowfat Cookbook...all of the recipes have seven ingredients or less, so they are quick and easy to make, but at the same time, they're healthy.

Both of these cookbooks do contain the nutritional information with each recipe.

Hope this helps!

Rom. 8:28

Edited by - DixieBelle on 07/17/2007 4:12:42 PM

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Kendra_NYC

6 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  10:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm exactly the same - I completely struggle to find the time to cook healthy meals and to prepare healthy snacks. Thanks DixieBelle for introducing us to these cookbooks!

If you're looking for some healthy snacks that you can just throw in your bag and go, then try World of Grains Cookies. Each serving of World of Grains contains 15 g of whole grains, omega 3’s, fiber and real fruit. They are a nutritious, convenient snack that taste great!

Head over to www.worldofgrains.com to learn more about us or check out our facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/World-Of-Grains/25059188706?ref=ts and become a fan.

Kendra—World of Grains

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use