New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topictopic nav
Page: of 58 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  12:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Harley, how fun to have the Germans over for dinner and let them shoot. You are a very gracious lady indeed. I'm sure they will enjoy whatever you cook for them. They'll enjoy your farm life.

Peacocks. We had one in the woods behind my house several years ago - BUT I didn't know it was back there. My brother lives on my street too. He had heard that one got loose and was in our neighborhood. I had no idea what it was but there was this piercing screech. Scared me to death. He claimed that was the peacocks. Could it be? I wouldn't know.

Hump day. Not such a bad day after all. Have a good one.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  09:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's another pretty morning here. I sure wouldn't mind if it stayed like this. Cool evenings/nights/early mornings, but it warms up during the day. No heat and no AC. I would love this.

I had a bone density scan yesterday. No big deal. My mom had osteoporosis. So my MD is being very cautious since I'm aging. Everything is genetic. Next week I have to get some bloodwork done. She was also diabetic. Oh, well . . .

You know in a month the kids will be out of school. Isn't that something? Another school year gone. When you're in school (at least this is how I felt), the school year can be long. Once you're no longer a student, you become a mother - and grandmother! - it goes so quickly.

If it's nice this weekend, maybe - just maybe - I'll plant some things. I'm so afraid of planting too early.

Have a great day.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  9:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Oh man, how lucky to be able to plant!!! Youngest has school til after June 1st, usually he's out of school by Memorial weekend, but this yr they had late snow days. Oh well, he'll live. We got only 5 in this last big storm coming thru the past couple days, not the 2 ft like they'd said. Older son in Laramie was stuck for 3 days there, they closed the interstate for 2 in & out. Denver is still getting dumped on. I'd love to hear peacocks! Where we used to live in the springs the toads would come out at night & literally scream while mating, it sounds awful. Sleep during all that??! Forget it! I'm glad to be away from it all.
Harley, how'd the dinner go w/the germans? I'd be willing to bet they enjoyed themselves. Germans for the most part are fairly jolly folks, just can be moody suckers!

Hope all have a great weekend....enjoy your great weather!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  10:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Jenjs, I thought of you this weekend. I went to a Goodwill store to see if I could find something 'different' to paint on. My painting friends find the neatest stuff at Goodwill and flea markets. So far I have struck out when I'm there. You just have to be there at the right time. Anyway I thought of you because there were several kids yucking it up having a grand time. Guess what they were doing - playing with a punch bag! There were 2 of them. No idea what the price was. But it made me think of you - why spend big bucks if you have a Goodwill near you. It's worth a look anyway. These 2 both looked like new. It also made me think of a 2nd hand shop we have in the area. I sure can't think of it, but it's 2nd hand fitness equipment. You may have something like that in your area for the treadmill, punching bag, and who knows what else you might find.

Rainy, gloomy day yesterday. I took a nap and then went shopping for my Secret Pal. It's her b-day and anniversary in a week. We have secret pals in my painting chapter. it's a fun thing to do.

Harley, how's it going? How your German friends?

Take care. Have a great week.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  8:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ooooh! I haven't thought of that! I'll have to check out the stores then, good idea! We have wonderful weather, just crappy wind now, makes it hard to rake up all the crap blown in. Supposed to get to almost 80 by Thursday, more rain/snow coming on Friday of course. Stillcan't plant til mid May, if then. I have all my windows open, it's wonderful! The heater didn't come on at all yesterday or today, so maybe we're done for 5 months anyways, that'd be sweet.
That's funny, see a punching bag & think of me!! That's a good laugh, I needed a good one. Last week the hubs went to the dr for a checkup & was told to lose 50#. Guess what, he's lost 14 since Thursday. Why is it so easy for guys to do it??!! No fair!! I'd love to lose 14 # in just a few days. He's limited himself to 1800 cals/day, which is like lettuce to him. He always had between 3000-5000 cals/day before. He does so well, writing it all down & calculating it all. Course, he asks me for a lot of pointers & he's actually eating a breakfast...something he never really did. I'm a big believer in the breakfast, always have been. Have made my boys the same, they couldn't & can't go to school without. (youngest had straight A's on his last progress report, it helps!) I even got the hubs to go for what I call a stroll last night, way too slow for me, but it got his butt up & moving!
I just got some FitFlops, they're supposed to be good to get the legs & tush in shape if ya like to wear the flip flops in summer. I've noticed some stretching in parts of my tush, not sure if it was from the flops or from some yardwork!

Hope all have a great week...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  09:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
14# in less than a week. I'm jealous. I agree with you, Jenjs, breakfast is an impt meal. I love breakfast foods too - morning, noon or night.

FitFlops. I have a hard time with flip flops. I broke my ankle, same ankle, twice. So something like flip flops is hard on my ankle. My daughter loves them. I'll mention FitFlops to her. She might like that idea.

On the equipment, I have the name of the used equipment that's in my area. It's 2nd Wind Exercise Equipment. Whatever you can save is good. But as far as Goodwill - they had a lot of stuff there too. I was only looking for neat painting things. Sometimes you can find very old things there that make wonderful finished projects when painted, i.e. old wooden chairs, small tables.

It's a gorgeous day here. I was going to post something yesterday and the day was here and gone before I knew what happened. I had bloodwork early in the morning. That started me on a later routine. First things first, I HAD TO HAVE COFFEE. So I got to work, put on a pot of coffee, went through the mail, the email. My boss arrived. I had payroll to do . . . then it was the end of the day and I was exhausted. Now that's all because I didn't start my day with coffee. Talk about an addiction!!

Next weekend - May 1, 2 and 3 - I'm going on a 'girls' weekend.' I'm really looking forward to it. We're going to Osage Beach. Have you been there, Harley? It's MO. So I'm thinking you might have been there. Well, you might have too, Jenjs. It's a touristy place. We're going to the outlet mall there, a musical, a neat church called 'Lady on the Lake' (we're all 3 Catholic), to a Mexican restaurant, and I'm told we're going to a winery. So it will be a busy 3 days but I'm sure looking forward to it.

I also sent in registration and money to a painting convention in Columbus OH. I've been to it before. There are several of us going. That's not until August, but you have to register now. So that will be something fun to look forward to.

I bought some pumpkin seeds, basil and sage. I'm thinking of planting the basil and sage in clay pots. I could bring them in the end of summer that way. Of course, I always repot anything brought into the house. I'm paranoid about spiders and other bugs that may have gotten into the soil, laid their little buggy eggs, etc. Yuck! But those are 2 of my favorite herbs. I thought it might be fun.

On with work now. Have a great day.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  7:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi guys,sorry not been keeping up with you both but its been so busy.The german guys are great and everything went great they seemed to have a great time.One of the boys has gone home so they sent a different one back hes 23 and not as happy go lucky as the one that left but maybe in a few more days he has only been here for 2 days.

Sounds like you both have been busy.The Peacocks really do make a loud sound you would think someone was being killed off the way the scream.

Yes I've been to Osage Beach you should have a great time.Good place to get away for a little while,hope you have fun.Better get need to make my stroll out to see the flowers.Take care and enjoy the nice weather.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  1:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi there. I'm slipping in here during lunch. Been kind of busy and had a doctor's appt. this AM. I hate that. Messes up my day, but better to mess up a workday than a day off! I need to have more bloodwork in 6 weeks. The numbers for my thyroid are going down, slightly each time. It's still in the 'normal' range, but they're concerned that I will need meds soon. So off I go again in 6 weeks.

I'm sure the Germans did have a good time. How nice that you invited them to your home. One isn't as happy go lucky as the others - the newer one - he may change. I've got some German in me. My gr. grandmother on dad's side came here from Germany. From everything I've read, and seen in dad's family, some of them are more somber and even appear cold. Dad wasn't and I'm certainly not like that at all. I'm a 'laffy taffy' person. But many of them are pretty somber. He may be one of them. Could be he's more shy and will take more time to get to know him, and him all of you.

I'm looking forward to this weekend at Osage Beach. It's been so long since I've been there.

The peacock sounded like someone was dying - being killed as you put it - scared me to death. That is the shrillest scream I've ever heard.

Jenjs, hope things are going well with you.

Have a great week, ladies.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  8:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi all,

We just got rid of the 6 in of snow we got over the weekend...I don't mind those storms in spring, they're gone in hours & they make everything greener than heck.
Germans, wow, they're a complicated bunch for sure! I'm 1/2 german as it is, but I'm too goofy to be the cold german, and they are too. Hubs finally defrosted after about 3 yrs around me, but it took a bit for him to build a sense of humor. I do rememebr my gma being a bit cold, she wasn't a warm loving gma that you picture, tho she did do a lot of the cooking & etc that us germans are notorious for. (picture lots of noodles & breads)
I'm due to get my bloodwork done too, it's just going to do it. My cholesterol was a bit high last year, usually it's a low sucker so i was surprised & a little bummed.
Good luck & have fun on your weekend beb! I am a bit envious too....wow...to be able to get away for even a day would be wonderful. Maybe some day, like in 5 to 10 yrs....that's about the rate I see.

Well, everyone have a great week..

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  09:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I got a chuckle out of 'hubs finally defrosted after about 3yrs around me.' I love it! My grandma made the best dumplins, egg noodles, anise cookies, snickerdoodles, you name it. You're so right. She could sure cook. But my mom's mom was much, much more like a 'grandma' to me. She was always smiley, laughing and thought we were all just perfect, absolutely wonderful. My German grandma loved us and we knew it. It was just 'different.' But then she was left a widow to raise 4 kids at the age of 31, dad being the youngest at 2 1/2 yrs old. So she didn't have time to be frivolous either. She had to work. Her mother helped with the kids. I remember dad talking about his grandma singing lullabies to him in German. Although he never remembered the German. Grandma went to a Lutheran school. She showed me pictures of her grade school years. The book was signed, in German and in English. She said in those years they learned in the Lutheran grade schools both German and English. But during the war that all changed. There was a tremendous fear of German spies and it was forbidden to teach it or speak it - in public anyway. I can understand the fear, but for some people that would have been the only language they knew. It was their heritage too. But that was years ago. She was 103 when she died! Buried her husband all 4 of her kids. Now that is sad.

Sheesh. Didn't mean to get on a downer. The MD appt went OK. They're watching my thyroid. The numbers continue to go down, slowly but each time. So now they want more bloodwork in 6 weeks, with more testing for thyroid. OK. I'll do that.

I need to pay closer attention to my eating and get more exercise too. I'm working on it, but I want to get all 'fired up' about it. Right now I'm 'fired up' about a weekend away with friends. I'm looking forward to it. I remember the many years I couldn't go because of kids, money, etc. So it's fun to do this once in awhile.

Have a good one.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  6:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Beb, just make sure ya stay on top of your stuff. I would hate to hear if anything happened to you because of any of your stuff you have to fight! Just like dad...he'd gone to the drs today & he's now in the ER because of his irregular heartbeat. All of this could have been prevented years ago if he'd just stuck to what he was told to do for his heart, ie low sodium, none of the take out foods all the time & prepared stuff. That was like 9 yrs ago & by now he could have the heart of a 50 yr old instead of how it is. Oh well, it's the choices you make. Plus his being somewhat alcoholic didn't help, more important to be able to drink than to keep the meds to stay healthy. I just don't get that mentality.

Now I'm the downer!! Don't mean to, just worried that we all don't care for ourselves the way we should. Do keep up on your bloodwork so you stay with us!!

Glad to hear you're fired up about your trip. Exciting stuff!!! That's a good way to lose an appetite too, being all excited. It is for me anyways.

If I'm not back by then, do enjoy yourself on your weekend beb! I'll be thinking of ya!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  2:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Lunch time and quick note to you.

I'm definitely taking care of myself and I will get the bloodwork done. Had a great weekend. 3 days away - peaceful, restful, fun and we're planning a return trip for fall. I love it! We had a great time. We ate too much but we walked our buns off. We shopped at the outlet mall Saturday from 10 AM until 9 PM. We took an hour for lunch and an hour for Mass. That's a lot of shopping! But there are 112 stores. I believe we hit nearly every one of them. It was so much fun.

I could care less about alcohol. I have never cared for it, but I did have a couple glasses of wine. We sat on the deck and drank a glass Saturday evening to 'toast' our weekend and our return plans. It was wonderful. It was kind of chilly, but that was much better than sweating away.

I weighed myself this AM and I stayed the same. So the walking helped keep the bad food choice weight gain at bay. Good for me. I am back on track today and plan to stay healthy. Thanks, Jenjs, for caring. I appreciate it!

I hope all of you had a good weekend. Now that lunchtime is over I have to get crackin again. 2 days away from the office means a lot of extra work.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  10:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's a grey, dreary day here. I had a DDS appt for a check-up this morning. All is well . . . except for a loose filling. It's 5 yrs old, and it's a small one. I can handle it. A toothache is horrible. I have spent years in the dentist's chair.

Any plans for Mother's Day? My daughter wants to BBQ. Sounds good to me. If that's the case, I'll get some veggies, i.e. zucchini, peppers, onion, mushrooms . . . whatever else I find, and grill them. I recently saw something in a magazine about grilling fruits too like pineapple. Now that sounds good!

Hope everything's fine with you both. Have a good one.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  9:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Glad your weekend was fabulous! Sounds wonderful to have a getaway..

Older sis is coming up this weekend for mothers day. Don't really have anything planned, just hang out. Anyways, Beb, glad you're doing well. All the same here anyways...

Harley, hope to hear from ya soon!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  6:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi all,been really busy at work for the last few weeks.Not much time for anything else.Had all I could stand for awhile told boss I needed away for a week and he said he understood was glad I hung in there as long as I did so I'm setting on the back porch with the lap top watching the birds and the dogs.Nice and sunny lots and lots of birds and starting to have lots of flowers in bloom.My son got me to really cute stone rabbits to put in the garden they look really good out there.

My uncle called the other night said that a little boy had showed up at his house been there for a week his dog was trying to eat it,so he wanted to know if I would take it sucker for lost little puppies I said ok when he got here with it it turned out to be a Pommie,red black with a blond tail curled up over its back.I've made calls to everyone within a 2 mile area where it was found but can't find where he belongs.Will try and find a new home for him when I get back to work.Unless Mutt-Mutt learns to like him so far that has NOT happened.

Well almost time for supper so better get something started.Hubby just let both dogs in the house and I can hear the dog fight so better go play pack-leader.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying spring.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  4:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's been a busy week and it's only Tuesday.

Mother's Day was so nice. My daughter gave me some lawn furniture. I've been talking about buying some. She went to pick up her paycheck and on the way home saw some at a yard sale. It looks new! The owners of the furniture are moving to an apt and have no need for the furniture. It's 4 chairs, table, umbrella. I have a need for it and love it. I got roses and went out for dinner Friday evening. So it was a nice weekend.

Then work hits on Monday. Seems like I hit the ground running and it's just now easing up a bit. Had a dentist appt this morning and haircut at lunch. I'm looking and feeling human again.

I have my pedometer on and I'm working on being a good girl. A book 'You: The Owner's Manual' was recommended by a friend. She said it has helped her tremendously. So I now have that book and will begin my reading. I never consider a book a waste. I like Dr. Oz and Dr. Rosen - the little I know of them anyway. So I think it will be a worthwhile read.

Glad you had a week off, harley. You been pretty busy. Of course, our friend jenjs has had her hands full too.

Spring is here. Summer's just around the corner. Can't wait.

Oh, I did some planting over the weekend - cinnamon fern, Shasta daisies, foam flowers. Never heard of them before but they're 'interesting.' So I have planted them. My little one and I planted pumpkin seeds. Then I turned around and there she was digging them out. We may, or we may not, have pumpkins in the fall! I need to get another little pot, put in some soil and seeds and see what I can do on my own - no little helper! She'll love having pumpkins.

Back to work now. Just wanted to stop in quickly.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  10:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Glad to see the both of you here! Winds are howling, no snow tho, we may be past it for now. It isn't june yet too tho. Can't get any flowers to plant yet, maybe in 2 weeks, rule of thumb around here is Mem weekend is the time to plant. Hubs & dad go up to Mt for his cardiologist appt, get his hardware all programmed....pacemaker & defibrillator. I'm hoping he goes back home soon!!! I'm starting to go crazy, with his not listening, taking care of himself like he should. Once he's there he'll go back to his old routines & he won't be as lucky as he has been before. Oh well, can't make him do things he refuses to do. It's like getting someone to get help who's an addict, same deal. Why are some people so dumb, or over-stubborn???! It's going to be a long, hot summer around here...temper hot!

Everyone enjoy their day...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  09:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Been a busy week, as usual. But then it seems we're all busy - in our own, different little worlds.

Jenjs, snow still. Oh, man, I'd hate that. I guess your summers are very short too. You probably have snows beginning late September/October.

It's nice that your husband helps with your dad too. You sure have your hands full. Your own family, your mom, your dad. It would be nice if your siblings helped out. But you've already gone into that issue.

You're right as far as making someone take care of themselves or do what's right. You know it's just impossible. In the end, they make their own choices and their own mistakes - just like I did I guess.

I'm going out of town again this weekend. I don't usually 'get away' this much. My daughter and granddaughter are coming too. We're just going to my sister's place further south in Illinois. There's a lake, sandy beach. It's too cool to swim or anything, but it's a pretty, peaceful area. My sis lives here in the same town I live in. But she and her husband have a place further south - a mobile home, in a little town called Lake Egypt. They'll retire there. We are talking small town. I don't think the pop. is 1,000. Pretty lake. Pretty area. It's a nice getaway. She's taking her grandson, possibly granddaughter too. They're 5 and my GD is 3. They'll play well together. So it will be enjoyable for everyone.

I'm going to get back to work now. I just wanted to check in. It seems as though the days I don't get in here early that I miss the time to post.

Have a great day and a great weekend. I'll probably not be here tomorrow.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  3:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hope your trip is a fun one beb. Sounds wonderful!! Still have massive winds today, no snow yet, may luck out & not have any more. But i still can't do my planting!!! Irritating more than anything. We do get our snow starting about that time, good guess!! Makes for a short fall & that's my favorite time of year. Never long enough for all the colors. I'm wanting to go pull weeds & do a lot of yardwork, but with the wind it just blows right in my face & I can't do it!! Roar!! I'm getting some serious cabin fever now. The temps are getting just right, it's just being able to go play.....

All have a great weekend!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  11:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Happy Monday morning, friends.

My weekend was a lot of fun. The weather was nice. The grandkids had fun and got along beautifully. My daughter enjoyed herself too. The kids played in the sand at the beach, waded in the water. It was cool. It hasn't been warm enough - or hot enough - to warm up a lake yet. We've really had a cool, wet spring. I'm not complaining. I don't want your April/May, Jenjs! No way. We've had windows open, chilly sleeping at night and just pull up blankets. Perfect! We drank coffee out on the deck in our sweatshirts. Bonfires. BBQ. I'm ready to go back. They'll retire within a year - that's their hopes. I'm considering buying property down there too. Little by little get ready for retirement. it's so peaceful. I love small, quaint towns. They have wooded property though and that's what makes it perfect - add that to the peaceful, quiet setting of a small town. My bil slept outside all night Saturday night by the bonfire - in a hammock the kids bought him a year ago for Father's Day. It was cold out. I think the temp was low 40's. But he had a sleeping bag and a blanket. He told us yesterday AM that he woke up because he heard something. It was a deer in their backyard. It just doesn't get any better than that. And today it's back to work.

Happy week. Have a good one.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 58  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use