New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topictopic nav
Page: of 58 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  10:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's another gorgeous day here. My sister bought a hanging cherry tomato plant for me. I'm anxious to see how it does. It isn't one of those that hang upside down. It's in a pot. I just did plant the seeds. Now it's time to watch it grow.

The weather has been wonderful for this time of year. Warm during the day and cool at night.

I stopped at Walmart before work this morning to pick up birdseed. My birds are hungry little ones. I enjoy watching them. I have one of those thistle sacks hanging at my window in the sunroom. The yellow finches eat and eat. It's wonderful to watch them. On another window out there I have a hummingbird feeder. Cheap entertainment and I love it.

I found an inexpensive piece of property with an older mobile home on it down by my sister's place. She's going to check into it for me this weekend when she goes back down. I wouldn't go down to her place this weekend for anything. Her kids - 3 girls - their kids, which totals 4 ranging from 10 yrs to 1 yr - a couple of the girls' friends and their little ones, my bil's brother . . . and who knows who else - will all be there. I told her she is a SAINT. I couldn't handle that much racket for anything. I don't handle drinking well either. I just was never into partying. Guess I'm a prude or a bore. But I have a great time without it. So with the kids (they're all young - 30 and under) all drinking and eating and their little ones running around I'd be a nervous wreck. I'm better off at home. But sis is going down a couple days early. She's going to look at it and might even set an appt to go in. it's an older mobile home, 3 BR and a bath, attached garage and 4 lots. It's right by the lake. It just seems too cheap. That tells me - beware. But if it's OK for weekends now I'd move it out and have something else built when I retire. That's what I'm looking at. And it may very well be that the property is worth it. I called the real estate agency and they're checking on the year of the mobile home for me. It comes with a fridge and a range. I asked - great! But what about electricity, plumbing, heating and the roof? Will the floor cave in? Seriously. You don't know unless you ask. I believe there's such a thing as 'full disclosure' and the current owner would have to fess up. We'll see. Gives me something to think about, dream about. But my sister said when they bought their place 12 years ago it was right around that price range and their place is very nice. it would be great to have a hideaway. My painting friends could come down for retreat weekends too. it would be fun.

Later. Have a great day.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  10:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I don't blame ya for not wanting to go, specially on this weekend!! That's like asking for trouble, but the kids will have fun I'm sure. It's been in the high 80s all week, will cool down now for the rest of the week. Too early to get so warm so fast. Now watch, we'll get that snowshower next week like I said..course since the flowers are all planted. And tomatoes....
Have to find the best way to cool the house for the summer without freezing the folks out. I think a swamp cooler would be best, but if mom would close her door it'd be cut off & her room is the hottest one. Gotta do more thinking on that one. Dad's been feeling yuck in the stomach all week so far, gotten sick a few times also. He goes to the dr today so we'll see if anything comes up.
I love to watch the birds come around too, tho we don't have many pretty ones, mostly sparrows & some robins. No pretty colored ones. I wish we got hummingbirds, I could watch them all day!! With the warmer weather I hope I can get outside more, I'm starting to get stir crazy having to sit around with the folks. There's only so many times I can really do the cleaning, know what I mean?!

Hope all enjoy the beautiful weather!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  10:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Cleaning. Bah. Humbug! It has to be done, but by this time of year I spend less time on it. I'll wait until it gets so darn hot that I can't stand it to do much inside now. Plus, with a 3 yr old GD living with me, she has to be outside. Kids are only happy when they're out running around. Since her mom works nights, she works every other weekend. So this weekend she's mine. I'm getting the pool out for her. The temp will be mid to upper 80's. The sun gets quite warm.

Sorry your dad's not feeling well. Hope the MD is able to get him feeling more chipper.

Too bad you don't have pretty birds there. Drinking my coffee this morning I saw the yellow finches. They're gorgeous. We have red ones too, but they aren't as pretty as the yellow ones. We have Cardinals - such a beautiful red! Bluejays, robins, sparrows, hummingbirds (one of my favorites) - all kinds of birds. I saw one the other week that I believe is a Baltimore Oriole. Gorgeous orange breast!

Actually last fall I had a wild turkey in the backyard. It must have been 3' tall. It was strutting its stuff all over the place. Love it.

I have to work now. Have a wonderful Memorial Weekend.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  4:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hope all had a good weekend. Had a rough patch with the dad yesterday, some things were said on his part that shouldn't have been said (ungrateful is what he is) & now things are back to an even keel. But now I'm going to push his getting out of the house. He has no right to have an attitude with hubs & I when we're the only ones taking care of him. He has 2 other kids to bitch to, let em have it, not us.
Done with that now....been working in the flower beds finally. Need to grab a few more plants for a few other places now, keep finding other places where I need to put things!! It rained all weekend for the most part, so yard time was pretty limited. I did add some more fertilizer to the grass today, hopefully it'll green it up & get rid of the pesky weeds I hate!
Hope all are doing well! Hubs & I were able to actually go out for dinner on Friday, it was super to be able to do that! All take care...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  2:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Jenjs, I'm sure sorry you had problems with your dad. Yes, he does sound ungrateful unless his health is an excuse for his behavior.

I'm so happy you've been able to get out and play in the dirt. That is just so much fun. My granddaughter's pumpkins are really growing. I'm amazed. She put the seeds in the dirt, and then she dug them up. I put them back. She dug them up. I guess a few remained and they are growing. She's tickled. She just didn't understand.

Hope things improve for you jenjs. Harley, hope all is well with you too.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  8:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Jenjs,you need a break---BIG TIME----wish there was something we could do to help ya.Things around here are really busy.Store was busy with Memorial Day.Yards to mow,mine the kids and the store then was nice for a change and mowed my sons neighbors yard she has been sick with a hip replacement shes 80 now. has 4 kids but guess they were to busy to do it she had called my mom wanted to now if my kid would mow it.He does'nt have a mower so I mow his yard when I haul the mowers to the store.Had a nice visit with her so all was good.

We've had lots of rain makes for lots of pretty flowers wish you both could see the flowers and like Beb have lots of birds.My bluebirds have already raised 1 set of 5 little birds on there 2 nest now.Have 6 pairs of Baltimore Oriole love them they are so pretty.Had a hen turkey out at the barn Sunday with about 10 little ones.Had a new bull calf Tuesday snow white like its mom and dad.The new little dog gets more use to us everyday but my little Mutt still won't let him get to close to me without a fight.My old eskimo is going to have to be put to sleep he has cancer and is starting to really slow down still comes to see me everynight when I get home but he is really looking bad don't want him to suffer for very much longer I've had him for 14 years or more will be a sad day.

Beb hope all goes well with the land search.Sounds like could be just what your looking for.Better get.Hope you both have a great summer will try and stay in touch when I can Take care!!!!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  09:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's great to hear from you, harley. You did a low of mowing.

I do love my flowers. I love the birds too. I haven't seen bluebirds, but I think I had a Baltimore Oriole come and I'd swear it was at the hummingbird feeder. Could that be? I just caught it out of the corner of my eye.

I'm so sorry about Mutt. I know how that is. They're part of the family.

How nice of you to take care of your neighbor's yard. What a nice friend you are.

I agree, jenjs. You do need a break and you need one now. I think hubby needs one too - with you. It would be nice if you could just get a little time with him away from all the other pressures. I sure wish your siblings would help out. Life isn't fair; is it?

Another rainy, gloomy day here. But things are so green and growing so fast. Wow! Of course, that means the grass needs cut again!

I'm still searching for my little getaway, to be retired home. My bil looked at the mobile home/land and said - the land is beautiful. If I want to buy the land, great. But if my heart is set on using the mobile home for now, forget it. So I think that tells me to just keep looking. I have years yet. So it isn't a problem. It would be nice to have a getaway now though.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  9:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If I run out of food in the oriole feeders they go to the hummer feeder so you could very
well have seen one.The hummers use the oriole feeder some of the time also.

Sorry about the land but like you said there is lots of time to find the just right place thats part of the fun in looking.

Last of the German boys left today have his e-mail so we can keep in touch will miss him in the morning he always had such a sweet smile when he came into the room.

Son has to go in for some test at the hosiptal wed.I think he is alittle afraid as to what they may find keeping fingers crossed all goes ok.Better get to work the dogs think its time for there treets.All take care.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  09:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm glad you told me that. I'll bet it was an oriole then. I didn't realize they would come to the hummingbird feeder. I'm enjoying them and so is my granddaughter. We sit early in the morning in the rocker recliner - me with my coffee, her with her juice - and watch for them to come. The finch feeder (bag type) is at the window on one of the suction type holders. Same story with the hummingbird feeder. She loves to see the rabbits come into the yard and eat clover too. When the birds were out looking around in the yard I told her they were looking for worms. She couldn't get over it. "Oh, yucky, Gramma." Agreed. But they enjoy them. I'm thrilled that she's enjoying the wildlife back there.

Went out the other morning to take Tucker (the dog) out. A pole that had suet in it was lying on the ground. Another feeder - one side finch food and the other songbird food - was almost touching the ground. Looked on the side of the house. Yep, raccoons. Drat. Cleaned the mess up from the trash cans (I have to get bungee cords or something) and I know that's who got the suet and some of the other feed. They even chewed through the bottom of one of the trash cans. There's a small hole in it. They're real scavengers.

Nature. Wildlife. Flowers. I love all of it.

Glad you have emails for the Germans. It will be nice for you to keep in touch.

Hey, jenjs, hope things are OK with you too.

Have a great weekend ladies.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  10:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Glad to see Harley popping in! I remember when we lived in Co. I had a huge lot to mow, I loved it tho. We had a riding mower to use, but I liked using the push, gave me an excellent workout. Someone needs to come up with a machine that's like mowing, I'd get it right off.
I'm gettin the flower beds all finished finally. Have more soil to put into the dirt, it's just dryer than crud & needs a bit more nutrients to it.
Last day of school is next week, youngest is looking forward to it. I'm not sure what I'll be able to do for him for the summer, I'm dreading him being bored & having nothing to do since I'm not able to do much of anything with him. Gotta find something. Past couple days have been ok I suppose, but asking sisters for help is like asking to take their life. For the past 2 yrs I was elected to pretty much do whatever needed, how I got there I wish I knew! Back then I didn't live in the same state either, yet I got the chore.

Hope everyone has a great weekend...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  11:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I never did mind mowing the grass either until a year ago. Arthritic knees make it tough now. I hate the humidity by mid-July, but I just did it in shifts and drank lots and lots of water. I'd also take the hose and cool myself off. Didn't care what I looked like. When I got finished I felt so good. Love the smell of fresh mowed grass. You are so right. It's a great workout.

Your kids get out later than they do here. When do they start? Our kids start around August 19 - 24, in that timeframe. We used to get out Memorial Day and start with Labor Day. Made it easy. Our parents knew the schedule each year.

Your son this summer - could you arrange for a friend, or friends, to come over once a week or so? Then he'd be invited to their homes too. It would give him something to look forward to. I know it would be one more person, but it would be good for him. I guess your time with him could be scheduled for whatever time your mom - and now your dad, yikes! - is in bed. Walks, board games, puzzles. There are a lot of neat 3D puzzles too. Movie nights, popcorn included! I don't remember how old he is, but if he's old enough you could even let a friend come over and they could pitch a tent outside if you feel it's safe enough for them. Or, if you'd get any sleep that way.

We had a beautiful weekend here. I hope you did too. The humidity is creeping up today. Have a great day.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  9:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We're getting a bit nippy this week, only in the 50s tomorrow. If it got any cooler we'd be getting the snow!! Son usually gets out before Memorial Day but they have to make up for snow days in March. He's 12, so we'll be looking for things for him to do. All excellent ideas you brought up! I may get him another swim pass for the summer, we have a pool just down the block he can go to so that's a simple deal there. I'm sure we'll come up with ideas soon.
I did lose 2 lbs last week, must have been warmer weather & the doing more outside, definitely better at summertime for that. The sunshine & warmth gets ya going I suppose. Why stay inside when it's so nice out, after being cooped up for months?! It is nice to get out, until it gets too hot & yucky, we don't have the humidity like y'all do out there. I have no idea how ya live dripping wet all the time; like gettin out of the shower to dry off & still seem all wet. Ugh! That would drive me nuts.
The weekend was nice, was able to do a lot in the yard which I liked, plus got a lot of sun. I'm a sun freak, I like the tan, bad I know but I grew up all day in the sun. My hair would bleach out & I'd get as dark as you could imagine. I loved it! In about 20 yrs or so I'm sure I won't like the results from it, but as we get older we tend not to like much that happens to us huh!

Hope everyone has a great week.....here comes summer!!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
A swim pass is perfect for a 12 yr old, especially since it's so close. He can probably ride his bike there.

I love to be outside too. I'm not a sunner like you - and like my daughter. She worships the sun. You are so right. It isn't healthy to just let it bake you, but I think I'm not in the norm on this topic. I used to love 'laying out' and tanning, packed on the deep tanning lotions, drank lots of iced tea, sprinkled myself, read magazines, listened to the radio and giggled with my girlfriends. Ahhh,those were the days my friends. My daughter tans very easily. I used to tan too and my hair 'was' a dark (what mom called) dishwater blonde and it too streaked. It has gotten a lot darker through the years, an grey!

I went home exhausted and achy last night, but I'm so tickled with what all I did. My boss was in a meeting in St. Louis all day. I work for a family owned-operated corporation. He's one of the 'owners/operators', as well as an attorney. So I knew I'd be here alone. I brought my grandson to work with me and he helped me move lots of old files/boxes around. What a great feeling. It's getting organized again. I haven't had time to do anything like that in ages. I used to find the time to do it a little at a time, but through the years my position has grown. I handle benefits admin for the corporation and that is very time consuming. But the 'old' stuff can be overpowering and overwhelming after so long. So today - things look so much better here.

Now it's time to get busy again. Have a great day.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  4:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I would still lounge outside & with an iced tea also! If only....I do tan very easy, which is why I could be easily be mistaken for mexican if I had brown eyes. Out of all the family mix we have, the mexican isn't in the blood, imagine that. Just about everything else is tho...
Isn't work so much better, getting-things-done-wise, when the boss is gone? I mean really, you can get so much done without someone always changing what you do. Most bosses could be gone for eternity & you still couldn't tell they were gone, not if there's very competent people working. Everyone has to have em I suppose. My bosses are with me 24/7/365. And will be so for probably another 10-15 yrs at least, if not more. Man, I wondered to myself yesterday what if the folks are around til their 90s?!! What am I gonna do then??! I'll need to be in a home then before they will!!

All have a happy hump day!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  11:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The work I've been doing, as in throwing away, is definitely easier when I'm by myself. I don't have to stop and to other things. Plus, he isn't one to throw things away. I am lucky in that he is such a nice man. He's one of a kind. That's for sure, and I count my blessings every day. I could hate my job and hate my boss, but I definitely do not. But so much, as you said, is easier to do when I'm by myself.

You've got a rough road ahead of you, jenjs. That's for darn sure. You have an extremely busy and demanding life.

Today is gorgeous here. It's around 60, with the high of only 70 or early 70's. That's ideal. I opened up the house last night and turned the AC off. I'd much rather have the windows open and ceiling fans going that AC. It was humid earlier in the week, and the end of last week. If it stays like this all summer I'll be thrilled.

Went to painting class last night. I haven't been in several weeks. So I didn't even take anything to paint. I just went to 'visit' and drink coffee. It was fun. I'll paint next week. We had a great time though. So I'm glad I went.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  09:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi ladies. We had some major storms in our area last night. All is well at my house but cities nearby had some major damage. More storms are predicted for this evening. You'd never know it right now. It's beautiful out.

My granddaughter's pumpkins are growing away - well, the vine is at least. She's thrilled. I planted a cherry tomato plant - it's a hanging plant - that my sister gave me and it's doing very well. I haven't planted a 'garden.' I could, but my brother lives about 6 doors down the street from me. He plants a garden every year. So I benefit from his produce. Can't wait for the tomatoes!

Just checking in quickly here. I have to get payroll out this AM. So it's a quick note. Hope you're both doing well.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  10:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We've had rain pretty much for the past week with little breaks the entire time. Had a lot of electricity in last night's storms, but nothing major. The flowers love it all, but we're so not used to all this moisture! The tomatoes are doing well, tho the topsy turvy one isn't growing as well as the regular planted one, interesting to see. We decided to do our experiment with that to see if it really is a good thing or not. So far no! Youngest had said he'd wanted to plant some cucumbers, he shoulda said something sooner. I have flowers everywhere now.
Folks are the same, tho the other day mom was very bad. She's been doing better since then, but I'm afraid her cancer probably had spread. She has a new med to take to hopefully help with that pain. Next week we go to Cheyenne for her appt with the pain specialist, we'll see how that goes.

Everyone have a great rest of week.......it's hump day!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

bluegirlforlife

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  5:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Send bluegirlforlife a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hey, guys. I haven't logged in here since last year... one of the many sites I'd forgotten I signed up for. O__O How's everyone doing? I'm good, playing with my baby girl. I'm getting ready to eat tacos with my hubby. =) After that, I might play my favorite online game, Mabinogi! I feel sick at the moment, probably because I'm hungry and hot. Blecch.

www.myspace.com/bluegirlforlife
www.bluegirlforlife.blogspot.com

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  6:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi all, been a long week.Finally had the vet put the old dog down cried for 2 days you would have thought it was a person that died.Made a real pretty place to bury Cloud. Had him for 15 years we have flowers and railroad ties around the spot will plant flowers as soon as the ground settles some he liked to lay in the flower beds so will give him his own,having a small stone made for him with his name on it and when i got him and when I lost him It only cst 26 dollars did'nt tell hubby that yet he'll laugh at me for that should have it in 2 weeks.I'll miss him he was a good ole dog.

To better news---cows are starting to have calves,Peahen is setting on 5 eggs-went out last Sat. to check on her she was'nt on the nest so went to count eggs found her setting alittle ways from her nest thought that was odd went to look in the nest found a 4 foot blacksnake in the nest with 1 egg half way in its mouth when we picked the snake ou the egg fell out but did'nt break 1 less snake to eat anymore eggs-the hen went right back to the nest and has'nt left it since that I know of.Have a little groundhog living in the barn the little dogs have fun trying to catch it no luck as of yet.Bought a little rooster and 2 little hens at a sale the other day the rooster is about 5 ins. tall and thinks he is about 10 times that size fun to watch him strut at the peacocks.

On vacation this week have plans to get the bike out and just take one day at a time.Found a place south of bebs home that has tigers would like to go and see them.

Hope everyone is doing ok will check on all latter.Hello bluegirl hope you enjoy this as much as we 3 do.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  6:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Welcome bluegirl & good to see ya harley! Sorry bout the dog, that really is hard to do, specially when they are around for so many years. It's just like one of your kids, really is. Youngest had a parakeet that died this winter we had for years & even I started to cry a bit. Weird how you can attach youself like that isn't it? I can't see myself personally doing that with a snake, say....but there are some that do! I'll pass & let them folk do it for me...
Watching chickens & roosters & all that is a hoot, I can see him doing that with the peacocks! Too funny, that'd get a good laugh out of ya.
The week off huh? Have a great time, sounds like fun going on a ride. I assume it's like a wildlife place or zoo you're talkin bout? Geez, haven't been to a zoo since oldest was like 6. I never have been able to take youngest to the zoo yet, soon he'll be too old in his eyes. Closest one is in Denver & that's hrs away. We couldn't do that unless one of the sisters got a heart & decided to folk-sit, which is when either pigs fly or hell freezes over. Nice huh?! And they all have kids either all out of HS or about to finish HS. I have 6 more yrs to go before that!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 58  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use