New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topictopic nav
Page: of 58 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  10:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's dark, dreary and raining here today. Chilly. It will drop into the 30's (or that's what's predicted) over the weekend. It won't stay that way. It usually doesn't anyway. Your weather seems to be all over the place. But, yes, it's all in what you get used to.

I hope harley's OK too. I worry too about her - the heart, the depression. Major issues to deal with. Women and heart disease is so common these days. I think it's because we have more stress/pressure than males. That's my theory. There's an awful lot expected of us, way more than men. We're here, harley! Take care of yourself.

You know that's a good idea as far as weighing on Mondays and Fridays. I never thought of that. I might try it too.

I enjoy BL. There are a lot of little tidbits of information as far as weight loss, food prep, exercise, motivation for me. It's helpful. I'm always amazed at the 'before and after' pictures. Absolutely amazing.

Have a great Thursday.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  2:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's dreary here too today, a few flurries goin on. It's around 30 something is all.

The weather affects mom real bad. Her depression gets even worse & it's real hard for me to watch. And I try to re-occupy her mind, but she has nothing to do with it. Makes me angry, to know she can change it all, but isn't about to. Why? Why wouldn't you want to try to make yourself feel better?? I don't get it at all. And I used to take prozac too, so I know a bit about depression. But I really have a hard time grasping at the notion she wants to stay miserable. And she was doing so well in the hospital....so why when she gets home she stops it all?? I am sooo frustrated!! And I tried to talk to her about it too yesterday, but she got all upset over it. I'm lost..

Hope everyone's day goes better!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  11:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's hard to say what's going on. Maybe it's harder for her to change her mood than one would think. It's frustrating for you because you're watching it, living with it. But she's probably feeling overwhelmed - no longer has her own home, dependent on her daughter/son-in-law, not physically able to do things like she used to do. Maybe she needs a different medication too. It's difficult for you, I'm sure. Your life is so busy and hectic and full of so many lives depending on you. That's why it's so hard for you.

It's dark and gloomy here again today. I'm glad it's Friday. I feel worn out. A friend of mine, who I've been friends with for over 15 years, called around 6:30 this AM to tell me her husband died last night. She was expecting it and we've stayed in touch constantly. She lives around 100 miles from here. But we communicate via email and phone too. He had brain surgery 2/2/09 and has been in the hospital or nursing home since then. The tumor did not all come out. It's pretty large one, and there was compression on the brain stem. That's what created all of the problems. So it was a blessing, but so sad because he was my friend too. She's hoping to have the funeral Monday. If so, I'll be taking off work. There's no way I'll miss the funeral.

Have a good weekend.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  12:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi all back to work this week sure am glad the week is over long one.First day back had to do 12 hrs one of the other shift operators did'nt show up.Set a record run on thursday.Have a Drs app. on the 28th afraid they are going to replace my knee.Guess I'm just falling apart.Mood is better heart seems to have stopped skipping and stopping not so hard to catch my breath.Have picked up some weight since been sick,just what I needed.Oh well right now that is at the bottom of the list of things to worry about.

Lots of rain the last 2 days have dumped 6 in out of guage so far still raining this morning.Saw lots of snow on the TV in state where jenjs is hope it stays away from her alittle longer.Hope all have a nice weekend.Will check back in when I can.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  2:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Harley! So glad to have heard from you!! I do hope you do feel better...but we're all falling apart so try not to feel too bad. I had knee surgery years ago & can't run on it, but that's ok, I'm not a runner, but it gives out all the time. Frustrating!

I have about 3 in of snow, so we're not gonna get out of it, I know, bummer. Expecting about 3 more or so, a very cold weekend. Not planning on going out anytime either! And hubs is trying to come home, but as he left town, they closed the road behind him, so now he's crawling thru. I'm on my last legs right now, hoping it goes well. Cross your fingers!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  10:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Happy Tuesday morning, ladies.

The weekend flew by but I did accomplish quite a bit. Yesterday I went to my friend's funeral in Springfiled IL. Now I'm back to work.

I weighed yesterday AM and I want to weigh Friday AM - like you do, jenjs. I want to see how things go. It might help.

It's been dark and gloomy, dark and gloomy. So typical of fall and it's cold. Cold enough that the windows are shut and the furnace is on. I don't have it set high and it doesn't kick on much at all, but the house isn't cold. it got quite cold in the house on Sunday.

Harley, I'm so glad to see you back. I'm glad you're able to go back to work but I sure hope you aren't overdoing it. 12 hour days upon returning? Yikes. Glad things seem to be getting better - except the knee situation doesn't sound so hot. It's true though - we hit a certain age and everything starts to fall apart. I hope your knee improves and you get by without surgery. We can hope and pray for that.

Now I'd better get back to work. I'm behind just from one day off.

Jenjs, hope things at your house are getting better and that hubby made it out OK with all that snow.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  4:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hope everyone is doing well so far this week. My comp is giving me fits & I'm not sure what the deal is! Driving me up a wall.
The sun has peeked out finally today, first time since Friday. Hubs did make it back, barely, but had to go back again today til probably Friday again. Not a happy camper. Can't wait to get this house fixing crap finished so he can stay home. It's all frustrating too, having to fix that house & need to on this one & still have to wait for what the court says for the estate & blah blah blah. Just one huge mess. And of course the sisters don't cra about any of it, they only want their share. Gets my blood boiling. Not going there right now...

And the gloomy weather is way bad for mom. Her depression was bad before, it's a thousand times worse when it gets cloudy dreary. And if the trains go thru town she just about loses it because her brother worked for the UP & he'd died of a heart attack over 30 yrs ago.....but she relives it every day. Nothing but doom & gloom with her. And she refuses to re-occupy her mind on other things, I'm going batty. I'm trying to get her to do some of her stuff for the speech therapy, but she gets so frustrated because she doesn't work it the way she thinks she should......ugh. Way too much for me to deal with today, don't know why today seems harder than any other day. It's the same day as usual.

I have been getting on the tread for the past few days, for a way to unwind & forget it all. It helps only so much tho! But it is a good thing for me to do.

Harley....things goin ok??

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  9:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi buds,Everthing is going much better starting to feel like me again.Knee still sore but somewhat better.Like all the weather is cold and really rainy.The dogs don't even want to go outside.The old black lab found out she can get in the little doggy door to the back porch so she moved in there.She getts on her belly and wiggles in sure is funny to see her squeeze into it.

My best buddy at work is having a shoulder operation next Friday will be gone from work for at least 12 weeks could be more dr. told her could be uo to 6 months.Will really miss her she helps keep me calm at work with all the crap she can come up with.

jenjs don't know how you seem to stay so on top of everything with all thats on your plate compared to you beb and I seem to have life made in the shade.Your one tough cookie.Hope you both have a great week keep in touch you both help me feel so much better to just know that your there.To be 2 people that I may never see sure do'es feel like I've know you both for a long time.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  09:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Is there really a sun out there somewhere?? It's fall. What do I expect? I do love fall, grey skies, rain, chill and all. Actually the chill and the colors are my favorite parts of fall. But the rainy, dreary days eventually get to me! I'd love a little sunshine. But I don't think that's in the forecast for several days.

You know my sister and I were talking the other day about the fact that we haven't had 'Indian Summer' here this year. We always have Indian Summer - those days where it's pretty warm for a few days, then cool, back to warm and sunny and the bees drive you crazy. We didn't have it here. For sure you don't ever seem to have that do you, jenjs? But, harley, what about you? You couldn't have had it either is my guess.

Glad you're feeling so much better, harley. You had us scared my friend.

Jenjs, I agree with harley. You sure do have your plate full. God love your husband because he sure is helping out where your siblings are not doing squat it seems. Give that man a gold star.

I can't believe Halloween is here in just 2 weeks! That means Christmas is just around the corner. Time to start thinking and doing and spending. Can't do it all at once.

I'd like to prepare some different things for T-giving this year, and much more healthy dishes. I have to think about that. I've been thinking about roasted vegetables. I do love veggies. Stuffing is definitely on the menu - whether it's healthy or not. Can't help it. I love it and it's part of the meal. The old bird itself is quite healthy. Have you ever smoked a turkey? I haven't. My sister did and said it was delicious. They also fried turkey one year. I just get those bags and throw it in the oven. Turn on the parade and enjoy the day.

Well friends, time to get back to work. harley, I agree with you. You 2 are good friends and it's wonderful to have the 2 of you to talk to.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  10:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, the three of us have found hopefully lifetime friends then haven't we? Wouldn't it be fun if we all could meet some day? I'd have to get over my phobia about the east & just go! That would be the easiest thing for me to go there & meet the two of you in the middle. Huh. An idea for sometime down the road..

The only have-to on turkey day I have, besides the turkey, is corn. The kind you buy in the freezer that has the butter in it already. I have to have that! Maybe not the best for you, but what the heck...it comes once a year. I am going to make my pecan pie without the corn syrup tho, I'm leary of all the corn syrups in everything. It has enough sugar in it even without the syrup! Now my youngest is looking at all the foods with corn syrup too, he'll be so much healthier in the long run than I ever would, even with all the crappy genes he has.

Harley I'm glad you're doing better!! I do hope that you don't try to over-do it tho, too much too soon. Can make it a lot worse that way. Little by little, or from one of my favorite movies...baby steps, from What About Bob.

I know, halloween already. It's not much of one around here, since kids all have to wear coats over their costumes, dumb. A few yrs ago when we lived in Colorado close to Utah's border, it's a lot warmer there & youngest had his 1st halloween without having to wear a coat. He was a little lost! Strange how life adapts to where you live.

Some days are a lot harder than others, I admit. Hubs does a lot & he ends up paying the price a lot of the time, he gets down also. None of it is easy, hardly. But I have to find ways to find silly, funny things to get me out of a dump. Even if something isn't good with mom, I do have to look at it at times like a comedian would & maybe that's not right, but I can't let myself become the way mom is, with a constant growl on my face & refusal to smile or laugh. Honestly, if life is that way, why does God keep her here? If she's so miserable & unhappy & refuses to see the light to anything, why is she forced to stick around? To be even more depressed & bring everyone else to that level? It's getting to where I can't stay in the same room with her for long, and that's hard to do. But I do. Sigh.

Enough dragging already! We all have our cross to bear, I'm not worse for wear more than either of you. I'm here & I just do what I have to do. I've always said that God gives us only what we can deal with. We may not think so, but it will make us stronger in the long run. He must think I can deal with a lot of crap!! But geez, isn't it time to lay off?? (see, humor there, gotta have it)

Eevryone have a better day & even more so tomorrow...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  11:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Pecan pie. I have never made it and my daughter loves it. I love anything and everything with nuts. How odd that I've never tried it. That's a good idea for this year - in spite of all that sugar. Buttery corn. Yum. That sounds good too.

You have a great outlook, jenjs. Look at it as though you are a comedian. I'll have to remember that.

I'm here until 11:15 today and I'm taking tomorrow off. My granddaughter has had a cold - fever, runny nose, cough. Been home a couple days this week. She can't go to daycare though after preschool (which is out at 11:30) because there are 11 confirmed cases of the swine flu there. No way. Not after the fever, etc. The cough lingers and the pediatrician said it would for a couple weeks. He doesn't want her at daycare either. That means I'll take off. I have plenty of time off coming and my daughter doesn't. So I'll take some documents home with me that I need to review and still accomplish a little bit anyway.

Swine flu is creeping up all around us. Schools are closing in our area too for a few days in hopes of helping eliminate some of it.

Back to work as I'll leave very soon.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  11:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Shoot! Forgot to ask: Did you watch Biggest Loser? I did. Interesting.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  6:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I did watch BL. Dunno why, but I just don't like that Tracey. People like that just make my skin crawl.

There's quite a few kids sick at youngest's school too. He was sick earlier, but has sniffles now & a little cough. I'm watching to see if he gets a fever & all that, sure hope not. It scares the crap out of me sometimes, all this swine flu stuff.

I'm a big 'nut' too...can't get enough of em. I love chopping up pecans in oatmeal, yummy. I could eat em all day & still not get enough, same with popcorn. Remember to make up the spicy sweet pecans I wrote down when we first started, I'm about to here real quick. Even had to go buy some more pecans at Sams so I have enough for now! And I'll have to get more even before turkey day....

All days I can't get the comedian thoughts going & that upsets me sometimes, but i try to find the funny as much as possible. I much rather laugh than cry any day...

Everyone have a super weekend, we're supposed to get in the 70s!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  10:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
My darn computer at home keeps locking up. I called and my friend will come check it out again. No idea what's going on now.

I love popcorn too! Yes, I do remember your pecan recipe when we first started. I thought of it the other day. Yum! I'll take nuts and popcorn over sweets any old day. That's not to say I don't like sweets because I do. I prefer the salty things though. My favorite candy is Snickers - I have the best of all worlds: nuts, chocolate, caramel. Yum.

Sickness in the schools everywhere it seems. Hope your little guy feels better today.

It's in the upper 60's here today and yesterday morning it was low 30's. Amazing. I think we'll have 'Indian Summer' for about 3 days now and it still isn't the 'real thing.' Indian Summer used to be upper 80's, even 90's - like another summer week or 2. I'm not complaining. This weather is ideal.

The boss has arrived. I'm going back to work. Have a good one.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  5:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Computers are a godsend, but a royal pain at the same time!

I'm going to make up the pecans this week. Today I made a pumpkin cake with no butter or any fats, just the pumpkin & applesauce & some pecans. It is real good, debating on puttin on a maple brown sugar frosting or just dust it with powdered sugar. Probably dust it, I made it with whole wheat flour so it's more healthy, like a good for you muffin. Made it mostly for mom, her sweet tooth, the munchies she always has. She's real bad on eating all the bad stuff & of course hubs wants her to eat whatever...but it doesn't help her really. She gains weight, that's good, but not from fat, which it is. Sigh, doesn't matter what I try I guess.

Today is windy of course, but about 70. Yesterday was gorgeous, in the 70s, but still wind. I opened all the windows & even left my bedroom one open all night it was so nice. Won't be able to leave it open tonight, showers coming. Back in the 40s tomorrow.

About to take youngest to the dentist for his cleaning. He's lucky so far, hasn't needed any fillings or anything. Last yr was the first time in over 20+ yrs I actually went to the dentist. Had just 2 cavities which isn't bad I suppose for that long....

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  10:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Today was a good day!!!!72 outside with lots of sunshine gots lots done putting away lawn pillows and all that goes with them.Mowed the yard for the last time this year(I hope).I've got a week of vacation this week will take my Mom and sister to Springfield for family girls day out in the morning.Will take calves to sale barn Thur.have to go pick up the prebuy bird seed wed. Nice to feel like doing things again.

Hope everyone is fine and enjoying the weather.Won't be long before to cold to want to be outside for very long.All have a safe week and enjoy.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  09:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Good morning ladies.

Pumpkin cake. Sounds delicious. I've used applesauce rather than oil/butter before too. I've tried all kinds of things, but I haven't done much with whole wheat flour. Does it make a difference in the consistency? I love whole wheat breads. Shoot. I love any breads, but regular old grocery store/sandwich white bread. Yuck. That's like eating a dough ball.

Actually I love to bake bread. I like the coarseness of homemade breads, the density of them, and the harder crust. Good homemade bread and a pot of homemade soup. Sounds good.

Harley, glad you're feeling better and getting out and about. That's good.

Springfield MO. My older brother lived there. Taught at SMSU until he died at age 27. He was the athletic trainer, taught health and volunteered at a local school/home for disabled children. He died from a brain aneurysm. Sick on Wednesday and died on Saturday. It was unbelievable. That's a beautiful campus. We used to love to go to the Bass Pro shop there. Oh, and then there's the Battlefield Mall. Enjoy.

It's going to be around 70 or better here today too. Nice temps for the next few days and then it will drop again.

Better get moving. It's a payroll day and I've got to get busy on that.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  4:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself again harley!! You go at it! Weather has a big influence on us, just look at mom. She's beside herself today, it's gloomy, cloudy dreary. I don't mind it at all, I like the rain,(for now it's rain...)makes it smell good & all. But she gets way depressed whenever it gets cloudy & I try to change her mind to other things, but she's determined to stay miserable. Can't help those that don't really want it. Back to you tho harley, I do hope that you're on the back to your ol' self again. It's a hard thing to do, been there.

Today I made stew in the crock pot & have some dinner rolls rising. I like the cool weather for the soups & all, stuff you don't want when it's hot outside. This weekend I did grill burgers & steaks tho, yum. As for the wheat flour....well, it is a little more dense than the regular flour, but with the pumpkin I made, you can't really tell & it tastes just as good if not better. I do believe using the wheat for regular in lots of ways is much better, I do it with banana bread too & when I make up cinnamon rolls. So in a way you have some sweet, but at the same time it's not as bad for you.

I hopped on the tread today, still haven't done the 2 a day I swore I would do! Need to start that tho. Guess i'm lucky to get the 1 when I do huh?

Debating on making the pecans now.....huh, being lazy or not. The smell would be good, so maybe I will....

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  10:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am draggin! I'm getting my first cup of coffee for the morning and it's 9:15 AM. Had coffee pot problems this morning. That baby's going in the trash and a new one's coming in. I can't handle this. I am so sleepy right now and that's silly. Talk about addictions. I've got a bad one with coffee/caffeine.

I'll have to try the wheat flour. I know it's healthier. I just wondered if I would have to compensate for that somehow. I'm going to give it a try. I love to bake breads. I love to smell that yeast. It's the time of year too, as you said.

I made stew in the crockpot over the weekend. I had a chapter meeting to attend for the painting organization I belong to. Decided to get dinner going before I left. Smelled so good. I love soups too. I've been thinking about a big old pot of chicken & dumplins too. That sounds good.

I agree that the weather plays a big role in our moods. It certainly does in my case. I was so tired of the rain last week. It usually doesn't bother me, but it had been going on forever it seems. All the sun had to do is peek through and I was fine. Usually on those dreary days, if I'm home, it's a good day to curl up with a book and a cup of tea, or draw, or paint, or nap! I don't get to do a lot of that will a little one living there. You know how that goes. She won't be 4 until February. So she's still not to be trusted! But she's adorable.

Have a great day.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  4:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I like to have coffee every now & then, my weakness I need every morning is green tea, hot, with a little lemon juice. With my coffee, as my dad used to say, was "have a little coffee with the cream & sugar". I'm a sucker for the flavored creamers...

Did you get the BL last night? That had to have been herd to go home, specially when some of the families seemed like they didn't care what they were trying to do for themselves. That understanding part is hard if no one gets it but you.

I was thinking of what else I like to use the wheat flour for, I forgot apple crisp, You know how most recipes have oatmeal anyways, but some flour too. Well, the wheat is a bigger kick & with that recipe you can't really tell the diff. Plus if you add nuts like I do, no one notices anyways. Gotta have the nuts.....I never did make mine yesterday, see, lazy. I could really go for a nap. I could try to finish my book, but I'm afraid I'd fall asleep.

Tomorrow I'm taking youngest out for breakfast, just us two. I have his conference for school tomorrow & I told him we'd go do something. We used to go out like that once a month before mom came. I think we both miss it.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 58  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use