New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topictopic nav
Page: of 58 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ame 1971

2 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  1:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Seriously is this just a chat room for the three of you? Not very encouraging either. Wow. I'm disappointed.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  4:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ame, I don't know why more don't post. I can't answer that question. If you look at 'viewed' you'll see that there are a large # who view the forums but apparently they don't post. In my opinion, that's their loss.

So far it's been the 3 of us. If you would like to join us, that would be great. I am benefiting from the little bit we talk. It's been helpful for me anyway. What works for one, doesn't always work for another.

I found information on fall vegetables and fruits. So I don't know why you found spring. I went to Healthy Eating - and there it was. Fall fruits and vegetables.

I found this website through 'Real Age' which I found in reading Dr. Oz. So I'm guessing there's a lot of healthy information here. I'm also new to this website -

I hope you do decide to join us and post with us. Maybe we can help each other. Those who don't post - well, it's their loss.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  10:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hey all...so, we're pretty much downers? Oh well, no one's perfect. I like being able to look forward to reading what the new buds have written. And how are we not encouraging? I think we're super!!! But, I agree, I'm not sure why more don't pop in & say hi, or if they do, don't answer.
As for the cars, well, I'm not too big on em either. Sadly, we need em to be able to do things. I did ride my bike a lot during the summer, til I really wiped out on it & totally messed up my arms. My nerves are shot big time in my left arm, my shoulder can't take any pressure & is hard now to lift it past my head. Sucks. So we walked everywhere this summer while gas was so ungodly ridiculous. Only drove when I needed a lot of groceries.
Still waiting on getting my elliptical. Hopefully this weekend. We'll get our tree this weekend too. Have a few decorations up, with the snow now it seems a bit like Christmas. I love to bake all the goodies, but I also love to eat em all. Yikes! That's the trick when ya try not to over-do it.
Today is a little better health wise. I don't know if I ate something that I shouldn't have or what. I did have to make a quick stop home while running errands today, just to be safe. Who knows.
Well, everyone bundle up & enjoy the night...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  09:55:55 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
17 degrees here. We're talking winter.

I'm still working on journaling. Helps me. Yes, it does help me to check in here each day. I do get encouragement. So it works for me and I'm going to do it. I also like to 'chat' with you. I don't consider this a 'chat room' - it's something I need to keep me eating healthy.

Cookies. I haven't baked a lot of cookies in years, but I'm going to do some baking this weekend with my granddaughter. I'll do my best to make them a healthier version because she might be only 2 yrs old but she certainly doesn't need a lot of sugar and unhealthy fats in her little body either. I have a diabetic cookbook that was my mom's. I can use that for baking. I love cookies, but the sweets are easier for me to leave alone that salty things - like chips. Love nuts and they're healthy, but I have a problem limiting myself with them. So I'll try.

I used to ride my bike in the mornings before going to work. However, I moved and the neighborhood I'm in now isn't as well lit and I don't ride as much. I bought a recumbant bike and set it up at home. I was riding it until I had a lot of knee problems this summer. I stopped because it hurt so bad, but I've been told that the bike will be good for me. So I need to get to the library for a book on tape. That's what I like to do while riding. Otherwise, I walk. I like that too - breathe in that fresh air. I walk my buddy Tucker. He loves it too.

Have a great weekend.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  8:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm just getting started on baking. Since you love nuts, I do too....a little "nutty" I am..I have a recipe for some cinnamon pecans, super easy & dee-licious! It is hard to stop at a timy handful, like I should. But at least it's something better than all the cookies! Let me know & I'll jot it down next time.
I can't wait for my whatever treadmill or what I decide on. Still feel like a brick! It's been so dang cold, I'm not gonna walk. I'd have to be real psyched to do so, specially with 40 mph winds hitting your face. That's a constant deal here. Every house should have a windmill in the yard for power. Sounds like a plan to me...
I did get a nice wreath to put up by the front door today, put up some garland w/lights along the stairs, pretty. Trying to get in the spirit of things. I grew up with Ray Conniff songs for Christmas, my absolute favorite. Brings good memories from being little. I put it on when I do my baking cookies to really get in the mood. Just have to find a decent tree...

Everyone have a fabulous weekend...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  11:33:03 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I would love the cinnamon pecan recipe. Absolutely jot it down. Thanks.

Where is our Harley friend??? I hope she isn't sick.

I did some cookie baking, wrapped presents and addressed cards. I played Christmas m usic. Ray Conniff is wonderful. I have some instrumentals that I like too - a dulcimer, Kenny G, all kinds. I like most Christmas music. It's all pretty and some of it is very relaxing.

The weekends go so fast. Here I am back at work.

We had ice this AM. It looked like the sidewalks were just wet, but that fooled us. There are icey patches. It's to be expected this time of year.

Have a great day.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  8:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I know...Harley, hope all is well!

Ok, here's the nut recipe:
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg white
1 tsp. cold water
4 c. pecans
Preheat oven to 225. Lightly grease (spray) a 13x18 cookie sheet. In small bowl, mix sugar, cinn & salt. In lg bowl, beat egg white & water til frothy. Stir pecans in egg mix, add sugar, spread nuts into cookie sheet. Bake 1 hr., mix every 15 minutes. If you double recipe, bake an extra 15 minutes.

We ended up with 6 in of the white stuff. Sure pretty with all the lights on houses. Like an xmas card!! Hallmark should come around here...

Hope you like the recipe!! It is very hard to stay away from just a few, for sure.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  08:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Looks delicious and simple.

6" of snow. We had a dusting. There's more predicted.

Yesterday my grand state hit national news with the arrest of our "illustrious Governor." I say - good ridance. It's a mess. He's a mess. I've been ticked for a long time because the capitol is Springfield. The Gov's mansion is there. We spend thousands and thousands of dollars for maintenance, upkeep and security on the mansion and yet he's living in Chicago. He refuses to live - or 'refused' - to live in Springfield. That meant additional dollars for security for him/family in Chicago. Stupid! How did he get by with that. Now he was more or less trying to 'sell' Obama's senate seat. He had already been under investigation. He's stupid. That's how I see it. Good-bye Rod!

It's really cold here this AM. I got a lot done over the weekend and I plan to really finish up this weekend.

Had meetings yesterday and the day just zoomed by. Today should be somewhat calmer. It's year end though. That's what happens.

Have a great day. Harley, come back! I hope you aren't sick or hurt. Hope things are OK with your family.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  6:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Buds,Sorry I've not been here but the hit to the head was alittle more then I thought it was (guess its not as hard as I thought it was)better now nice to be home.Missed you guys glad to see your still here to the dislike of some other people it looks like.

Had a new calf when I got home pretty little red white face heifer.I think they had all put on 50 lbs.since I last saw them.Better them then me.

Recipe looks really good have to try it.Wish I had my lights up but may not try that for a few more days.We only had a dusting also but really cold(maybe just me).

Suppose to rest so better get to it.Back at you both latter.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  11:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yay!! Harley's back!! Did you have a fall? Glad that you're better.

The calf sounds beautiful! What a Christmas present.

Yeah, seems as tho some don't care for our conversations. Oh well! We like it tho huh!

Warning: that pecan recipe is addictive. I made a double batch & it's half gone...by me only!! I do think it's my favorite treat.

I think I must have gotten some kind of bug. My appetite is just blah & I've lost 4 lbs since turkey day. Hey, I'm not complaining! Just wondering! I'll take whatever I can get...

Everyone have a great Thursday! One more day til Friday...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  10:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Jenjs, see Harley's post from 12/2. She got butted by a cow! Knocked her into the bunk and then out of it. Scary!

Harley, I'm so glad you're back and that you're going to be OK. Just take it easy. Forget the lights. You'll make it through Christmas this year just fine without them.

Jenjs, congrats on the 4# loss. I wouldn't complain either. And I can see how that recipe would be addictive. But then anything with nuts is addictive to me.

It's OK if this thread doesn't work for some people. It is working for me and apparently it's helping both of you too. No one else seems to post much here at all. I just need to 'check in' to keep myself in check.

I was reading something yesterday on a show that Dr. Oz did. It's on living longer and people in the 'blue zone.' There are a few blue zones, and one is in CA. I think I actually found it through the Oprah website. I like Dr. Oz. At any rate the blue zones are in Costa Rica - They have very hard water, which means it's full of minerals. The predominant diet is lightly salted corn tortillias, beans and squash.; Sardina, Italy - diet of bread, cheese and dark wine! They also drink goat's milk.; Loma Linda, CA - A large part of their lives revolves around faith. They are predominantly Seventh Day Adventist, which means no smoking, drinking, eating meat, or processed foods. Well, you might just want to read it. There is a lot there. They're all very active people in these blue zones. They have strong, strong family ties, work hard. It just makes sense to me. Dr. Oz and Dan Buettner (I think that's how you spell it) say use meat as a side dish. It is apparently something we really don't need. We can get protein from dairy. We also get calcium there. Something to think about. Dan has written a book on his research. Again, you might want to check it out.

Have a great day.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  7:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I couldn't do without meat. No way. I don't have steaks all the time or anything like that. But no meat? Forget it...
I've read about the mediterranean diet. I'm not huge on veggies too, but I now like tomatoes & used to hate em. I do love cheese & big on whole grains, cereals, course the nuts! I need to do more salads & all that. But I do get my V8 most days, that I've vowed to myself to do.
My appetite wasn't much better today. I think I have some kind of bug, I just feel all drained. I'd sleep all day probably if I had the chance. This weekend is supposed to be super cold, specially Sunday. Best day to do snuggly stuff like warm cookies & reading.

Tomorrow's Friday!! Enjoy...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  7:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Jenjs,lost a fight with the Bull. I made the pecans OMG are they good!!!!!hubby ate half of them last night and I found him with a hand full at 6:15 this morning then tonight he came home with about 12 cups of pecans so I would have enough to make him more.Just like potatoe chips can't eat just one.

I've got Dr. Oz (Me on a diet)book or something like that.Hes going to be on Oprah I think next week.Oprah says her weight is 200lbs again.Heck if she can't keep off the weight with all her money to get the best people to cook,train,advice her not sure there is much hope for me.Jenjs,4# way to go wish my appetite would stay gone did'nt have much of one after the bull fight could'nt keep anything down funny what a good knock to the head will do for you.Good thing I'm as hard headed as I am could have been really bad.(HA)

I've moved the treadmill back in the house for the winter.We both have been using it while the TV is on at night.Sure not like the nice walks outside but will have to do for now.

All be safe will check back Friday

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  10:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Jenjs, maybe if you keep feeling somewhat blah you should see a doctor. It's probably just so much going on - wedding just finished, now there's the holidays, car problems. That's a lot. Stress can do all kinds of things to the bod.

Harley, I take you're even better today. That's good news. So you moved the treadmill back in the house. Now hubby can walk and eat pecans!!

I'm going to make the recipe over the weekend. I picked up some pecans before coming to work this morning. I wonder if this is wise for me!!

I know what you mean about doing w/o meat. I could - except for a burger at times. I crave hamburgers more than anything else. But in reading that it just stressed even more to me the need to cut back on meats and fill up with veggies, fruits. That's the key for me. Grains, yep, they're in there too. The Italians had their bread with their wine & cheese! Now that sounds real good to me.

Have a great weekend.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  6:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello ladies!

Harley, so glad that you're doing better. I'd bet that you wouldn't have much of an appetite after going thru that. Poor girl!! Happy to see you're back. I told ya those pecans were addictive!!! I've done a double batch & I need to make another regular batch for Christmas. I'll have to end up doing another one before then, I just know it! But hey, it is a good source of fiber & the good oils. Rejoice!! So Beb, don't worry...just enjoy them!
I still am waiting for a treadmill or elliptical. Hope I can get one soon, but it'll be on my wish list anyways. We'll see. It's been to dang cold to be walkin, poor pup doesn't like missing the walks. And this weekend it's supposed to be in the single digits....roar!! Come on spring...
I just found out my younger sis now has breast cancer. What else is there gonna be??! She sounded a bit drained, she'd just told her youngest, he's 17. He took it pretty hard. Now we'll see what happens there. Keep your fingers crossed & say a few prayers. We need it in this family!!!

Everyone keep warm & stay safe, have a super weekend!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

crystal8112

2 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  12:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi! I just joined the site--hoping for better luck than with the previous 20 or 30 places I've been to lose weight. I weighed 100-110 pounds in high school and am now 49 and weigh 180--total beached whale! Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  12:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Welcome, Crystal. We - there are 3 of us - who post on this thread regularly. We try to help each other. So join in and you can help us, and vice versa.

Jenjs, you bet I'll wing some prayers for your sister and her family. I'm so sorry to hear about that. So much sadness.

I'm still working on the healthy eating and journaling. Trying to get plenty of veggies in and some fruit too. It definitely does fill me up. That's the good news.

I have a lot of work sitting here. I didn't get in until late. We had some ice here. It wasn't a lot, but enough to delay all kinds of things.

Have a great day.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  7:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Glad to see a newbie! Hope tha you enjoy checking in as much as the 3 of us have. It's nice to be able to go somewhere just for small stuff.
My mind is in overdrive on all of this cancer popping up. I know that anything anymore is gonna kill ya off, it shouldn't surprise me anymore. So a visit is due to my dr to ask more questions..
BBBRRRRRR! For the past 2 days we haven't been warmer than -5....winter really sucks. I want spring NOW!!!

Everyone bundle up...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  8:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi gang,yikes I thought 13 was cold don't want to see -5.Sorry about your sister we'll all keep good thoughts.Had all my female plumming out a year ago all my test were ok after
that.Don't miss any of it at all.

Hello Crystal nice to have ya with us!!!!

It's suppose to hit 23 on Tuesday (REAL HEAT WAVE) I'm with you jenjs ready for spring the little calves look so cold,MuttMutt won't even go out to see them he hates the cold weather stays in his dog bed all day with just his nose sticking out from under his blanket.

Everyone keep warm and drive safe roads are ice covered all around here.Till latter!!!!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  12:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
-5. I will stop complaining. We're having a heat wave. It's 22. Ice yesterday. Snow today. But it isn't worth complaining about . . . yet. More ice/freezing rain is predicted for Thursday. The ice is the pits. Some people come barreling along like there's nothing on the road. What are they thinking? There are slick spots. Then at night it freezes again.

I hope Crystal returns to post with us. It would be nice to have an addition.

It's almost lunch time and I'm going to get my hair cut at lunch today. So I'm excited!

I went on a holiday house tour on Sunday. It was wonderful. It's an old historic district in St. Louis. LaFayette Square. There were 12 homes on the tour. We could go through the first floor. They were 'row houses' - know what I mean? Narrow homes, but roomy - as in 3 stories. Gorgeous. Built back in the 1800's. I love old, historic things. Love antiques. There is a church there and they made it into condominiums. It wasn't on the tour this year. But a couple of my friends who were with us Sunday said they had gone through t his church 2 years ago - it had just been completed (the construction of the condos) and was vacant. Said it's gorgeous. There's an organ on the second floor. Here's a website. I thought you might enjoy sneaking a peek.

http://gilded-age.com/abbey.html

Enjoy. I've got to work now until my hair cut appt. But had to get in here and post/read for the day. My daily 'fix.'

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 58  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use