New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topictopic nav
Page: of 58 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  4:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We are over 25 today!!!! I tell ya, even with the wind it's warmer. People are just dumb drivers, no matter where you live. Even here, they still don't know how to drive in the snow..idiots.
The house tour sounds fun, specially during the holidays, everything all decked out pretty. I'd like to keep it all year round, the lights & pretty stuff. I know some folks do, but I think it makes the season more fun to keep it for just then.
Pets know how it is outside! They are not dumb at all! Taz was in & out for bathroom breaks in no time. Usually he likes to hang out a bit, but today was the first since Saturday.
Today I made more cookies & rising an almond ring, I make cinnamon roll dough & let it rise, then put an almond filling in the middle & roll it into a wreath shape & we have that Christmas morning. I have to make one for the oldest alone! He's a big almond freak like his mom. Told ya I was nuts about nuts.....

Everyone have a happy...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  7:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Its a little warmer today had lots of rain and ice most of the day cars were covered when we got off work.Hauled one of the girls from work home she doesn't like to drive in the stuff.Took longer to scrape it off the windows then it did to get home.

I have a friend at work that goes down south each year to take tours of the old planatations would love to do that someday.

Just reading what you are making I think I've gained weight sounds really good my granny would always make cinnamon rolls,miss that.Better get supper started hubby looking for something to eat.

BE SAFE AND STAY WARM!!!!!!!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  10:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I had oatmeal this morning, but you're making me hungry for cinnamon rolls - almond ring, cookies. You name it! It's all part of the holidays.

What I like best about baking - from scratch, like the rolls, almond ring - is smelling that dough rise. I think yeast smells just wonderful. It smells 'homey' and makes me feel good when I smell it.

I'm really trying to stay on track as far as eating goes. It's sure difficult during the holidays. I don't expect to lose anything, but I figure by concentrating, trying to eat healthy - at least I won't gain like I have in the past, or gain as much.

It's been bad enough here, even though it's small amounts of freezing rain/ice and snow, that I'm not able to get out and walk. I'm afraid of falling. It's dark when I get home and I really can't see if it's ice or a puddle that's still freezing over. So I don't venture out for a walk during this stuff. More ice/freezing rain is predicted for tomorrow. Today is quite cloudy. Wonder if it'll start today.

I'm still working on journaling. It is helping me. I read in a magazine recently - I am forever reading! - that journaling helps in weight loss. Those who journal lose more weight. So I figure I'm on the right track.

Enjoy your baking.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  9:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello ladies!

Glad to see Harley back in the swing! All this weather is a pain isn't it? And this weekend is another one coming thru with the deadly cold again. Yikes!

I too love the smell of fresh breads, that's why I love making these rolls & stuff. Plus I do it more for the fam & not me. Today I did make me some blueberry muffins tho, I dunno why, I'm on a blueberry kick. What a whiff of smells!! Good for doing the oatmeal tho. I am big on the whole grains & fibers.

I'm not sure, sometimes I do the journal & sometimes not. I'm not sure if it did help me personally on it, but I think coming here & visiting does!!:)

I do want the weather nice again so I can go for more walks with the pup & the youngest. I'd be happy with a treadmill too!! I can still wish for Santa...

We plan on going to pick up the folks this weekend. I know my dad will try to talk us out of it, but mom has called every day the past few days & even twice the one day....she's ready to go. And I know she's going to want to stay here for good, which is ok by me. But there's major changes we'd have to make & most would have to be by the new hubs! (ie stop smoking, swearing, sleeping on the couch.....) I would have to find a new dr, get meds transferred, do her medicaid & medicare, etc, etc. We will see what time brings..

All keep warm & drive safely......

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  08:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's been in the 20's for a few days. Today rain, possibly freezing rain, but then get up to 30 or so later today. So it shouldn't really get bad.

Like you said, Jenjs, with better weather we can get out and walk. I have a stationary/recumbant bike. But I really like to get out and breathe the fresh air, walk my dog. I'm inside all day for work. So the walk and fresh air feels so good to me. I used to walk him early morning, as around 5:15 or so, and then again after work. So we were out and about a couple times each day. But my daughter transferred to night shift (she's a CNA at a nursing home) because there was an opening and she makes more money. But that means I have my little buddy - my granddaughter - she's going to be 3 in February. So that eliminates the early AM walk for sure. I've been able to do some evenings, but we've had ice/snow - small amounts - but enough that you can't tell if it's safe to put your foot down or not. I've broken my left ankle twice and I'm really gun shy with this slippery stuff. We have more snow predicted for the weekend, and again next week. So I have to do what I have to do.

I've tried yoga and Tai Chi too. Tai Chi very little, but I find it "interesting." I mean the concentration aspect of it - or it appears as that's what it is - and it's like an art form almost. I've read that 'anyone' can do it - age, physical ability - doesn't matter. So I got back to that periodically. I also have a weight loss yoga DVD, and one that's strictly for beginners. So I have other options. I recently bought a book 'Chi Walking' and I've been reading it off and on. I try to keep myself surrounded with 'healthy' thoughts and materials. Little by little, in baby steps, I'll get there. I do find that the more active I am the better I feel, the more energy I have, and I'm just plain happier!

One week from today is the big day. Now isn't that hard to believe. I need to work on my menu for the day. Then there's that dreaded trip to buy everything, horrible thought of paying for it, then bringing it home and putting it away. It's all a chore because the prices are so ridiculous. The gas prices went down and the groceries went way, way up.

I have to get busy here at work now. Have a wonderful day.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  6:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi guys,I'm going to give up and stay in the house the cows be damned.Went to feed last night had 2 5 gallon buckets of feed hit a slick spot went down with feed going all over the place cows trying to eat me right along with the feed.Poor MuttMutt did'nt know to keep the cows away from me or help eat the feed.(I have so much fun)once again not really hurt just a few sore spots.One of the boys at work got a call from his dad today telling him that one of his mothers sisters fell and hit her head died right then and there.She was 60 he told me in really good health just hit her head really hard.You guys be really careful it happens really fast when you start to fall.

Hubby went to the heart Dr. yesterday for check up said everything looks good so far, that was good news for a change.

Got to get really into the healthy eating again.I do good for a few months then start to slip back. Like beb I feel so much better when I'm moving just been so sore since all the beatings I've taking in the last few weeks.

Well better get ----Stay Safe and Happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  8:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Man, this weather really bites! Today I took a slip on some ice under the fresh snow trying to grab the mail. Ended up hitting the side of my face by the jaw, it's sore as all heck & a little touchy to chew! I hit the fence post, nice eh? Just comes all around anymore...
Well, we all do well for so long & then along comes the holidays or just tired of keeping track. I do have to say tho, coming here does help me stay more at an even keel. Thanks ladies!

Time to take some aspirin & dip into a hot bubble bath, soak my sores! get all warm & toasty. Y'all do the same...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  09:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
My goodness. Stay put, harley. Jenjs, you need to stay put too. I'm afraid to say anything positive about myself right now. I'm so afraid of falling. I've been worried about breaking my ankle again - or something else. I'm going to worry about my head too now. The ice is what's kept me from walking outside. Thank goodness you both seem OK now.

It rain yesterday afternoon and last night. Got rid of that darn ice we had. This AM it's 50. But the temp will begin dropping and get down to around 30 tonight. Snow moves in tomorrow. I can deal with snow, in small amounts at least, so much easier than the ice. There isn't much you can do when it's sleeting out there.

Yes, I think we all do well for awhile and then head back to our old ways. I think it takes quite sometime to make those 'new' habits. I'm really working hard on that. I know I can only do so much right now due to the holidays. If I had my new habits firmly in place right now, it would be easier for me. They aren't set in stone yet. I'm working on it though. I think just the fact that I'm trying to find new recipes for veggies and grains - like wild rice and dried fruits/nuts - is a plus. It is for me at least. I'm planning on changes and putting things in place, starting in small doses right now. It makes me feel better about myself anyway and that's a good start.

2009 will be a healthier, happier, more positive year for me. That's what I'm focusing on and that's my plan. Yep, and I'm stickin' to it 'with a little help from my friends.' You know the positive aspect is a biggie for me. I have to think positive and be positive about myself and what I'm doing. The rest sort of comes along then. It won't happen overnight and I have to be patient with that too.

Well, my new friends, have a great weekend. I'm getting back to work now. Talk to you on Monday. Monday of Christmas week that is!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  2:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I know!! All this falling is a bit scary huh. Doesn't take much either. I don't dare try to walk anymore right now, they're really bad about shoveling the sidewalks & then they get mush from cars & it's not taken care of then, just a mess. Today it's 32 or so, windy as all heck tho, but not below zero. That's coming in tonight from what I've heard. Man, I'd love to see 50 right now!!
Perhaps 2009 will be good for all of us. I'm not into the resolutions & all that. Ever since I had the oldest, born New Yrs Eve, I haven't cared about that. It changed having to worry about him being born!! Usually i resolve to do something then & there, when something hits, no matter what time of year. Like when mom first started having heart problems...she wasn't yet 50. I resolved then not to over-do things, mostly sugary stuff, that's my weakness. All her problems came from cigarettes, but I never smoked, so that couldn't be my resolve. Now, older sis, she still smokes. You would think it'd scare the crap out of her....guess again. Now she's almost 50, about the same age mom was. I'd be shakin in my boots...
Whenever I've had to spend a great deal with hospitals in any way, ie parents mostly, it does something to my system. A kind of stress I suppose. I lose the "power" to eat. When mom was first sick I think I lost 15 lbs in like a month, I just couldn't deal with eating while seeing her there all hooked up to a buch of scary-looking tubes & the smells......ugh. That kind of loss isn't worth it. Sure it's nice in a way, but not the best way to go about it.

All hunker down & get ready for the wild weather ride this weekend! Bundle up & stay warm...

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Quiltnchef

4 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  12:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi. I'm not sure how I found this site but it might be just what I need. We moved to Washington DC a year ago and I still hate it here. Gained 30 lbs so far. The only good thing is that walking is built into my day since driving in this city is not a good option.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  7:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Lord its cold!!!!!4 degrees today with lots of wind went to fill the bird feeders and thought my fingers would fall off before I got all of them filled.Feeding the cows wasn't much fun eather.Calves don't want to get up and around anymore then I did.

hello Chef hope you enjoy this as much as the 3 of us do.Your not the only one to have gained weight over the years.After all the fights with the cows and being stove up for a few weeks I'v put 6 lbs. back on may not sound like alot but takes me forever to get it back off.Will have to work harder this week at it.Birthday on Sat. hate another year being this fat!!!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend and that everyone is ready for Christmas.Stay safe and warm.Latter all.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

becca2bfit

1 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  11:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Greetings to all! I was looking for a healthy menu for our Christmas meal and found this site... I like many have been searching for a place to seek support, encouragement, recipie ideas, fitness/exercise ideas. My weight became a problem after I got married and had my daughter. I used to use the pregnancy as an excuse,but my daughter will be 6 next month - I should've lost the weight by now. I am needing to lose 40 pounds. I have just completed my bachelors degree in elementary education. I have been so busy - have not had time to exercise or plan healthy meals. I look hidious! I am here to support and be supported.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  1:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Chef & Becca, welcome to our group. I hope you return and enjoy posting with us, as well as finding recipes and support. We certainly do.

It's just so easy to gain weight and so very difficult to lose it. Posting here helps me. I lost 2 pounds last week. Boy, if I can keep that off this week I'll sure be happy.

I've been searching for healthy recipies too. I really want to try more rice recipes. I also plan on eating more fish. I love fish. So that won't be a chore at all.

I'm going to take some time off work. I'll be posting here through 12/24. But then I won't return to work until 1/5. I may or may not find time to access my computer from home. The problem with that PC is that I don't have cable there - or a DSL. So we are talking slow, slow, slowest.

I have to get back to work. Just stopped in during luch. Lots to do since this is a really short week.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  8:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Welcome all!! Hope that you all can find some inspiration (?) with the rest of us. I think we've done fairly well so far..
Well hey, I lost 2 lbs too last week, must have been a good week huh? Don't ask how, cuz I have no idea how it happened! Not really doing much right now..
I make a mexican rice-type stuff that I really like, but no one else seems to really like it but me (older son does but he's not around to eat it). It's not real spicy, can really taste the cilantro in it, I love using cilantro. I can give you the recipe if you like.
I'm not a big fish eater. New hub loves fish & youngest boy loves it too. When they go fishing they do most of the eatin of it, not me. I love shrimp & some of the fish sticks, not the old-day fish sticks.

Well beb, if we don't hear back from you, hope that you have a wonderful Christmas, stay safe & warm. And everyone else do the same!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm here! Working today - don't know for how long since we're having freezing rain/sleet -and part of tomorrow, with snow predicted. As of around noon or so tomorrow I'm off until 1/5.

I definitely want the Mexican rice recipe! Thanks.

I enjoy fish, but I've never cooked a lot of it. I love grilled salmon and tuna. I buy the individual tuna and/or salmon packets, or tiny cans, for lunches. It's a good source of Omega-3. Plus, I enjoy it. I'm not a big shrimp fan, but I do like it. Orange roughy is good, as well as tilapia. Jack salmon is a favorite but I don't fry fish. Makes the whole house smell forever, plus I don't fry anything anymore.

We did have a good week last week; didn't we. I'm working on some positive thoughts/reflections/goals for myself for 2009. I'm not going with the same old 'resolutions.' I read an article in the recent issue of 'Woman's Day' and it has some positive thoughts/ideas to take on rather than the same old resolutions. I like that idea. Like you said though quite often when something needs changed you tackle it then and try to change going forward. That's good too.

I have to get kickin' here. There's so much to do since I'm taking off. Have a wonderful 12/23! Be good now. Santa's watching.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  4:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Merry Christmas all!! It's the Eve already, waiting for oldest to come into town, it's windy as all heck, but I'm ready for the holiday. Made a few hot buttered rums for the folks, I'll wait til hubby gets home before I have any. We'll do spaghetti for dinner today & then have ham tomorrow with all the goodies. YUM!!
We can give ourselves a break & indulge in the day with feasting & fun. I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!!!!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  10:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Happy New Year! It's the start of a new year now, so maybe this year will be a positive one for us all.
I'm not one for resolutions, but I do have one this time: make mom as happy & as comfortable as she can be. She came for the holidays & she'll stay now. We had to take her to the hosp on Mon, she got out Tues. They didn't find much, but she does have a blood clot on her lung, which she refuses to have taken care of. And with that, it can continue to keep getting larger & make her oxygen level fall & she'll eventually pass on; or it can heal itself & she'd be fine. Either way, she wants to do nothing on it. Which is why it's important to keep her as comfy as possible.
I do hope all had a wonderful holiday!! Today is so far pretty decent outside.....we have robins in the yard, have for over a week now. Never hear of robins in the winter around here til April, if then. Any takes on why they would be hanging around here?

Lets hope this'll be a kicker of a year!!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

417harley

147 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  09:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi jenjs,not sure about the birds we have lots that stayed around this year too.The maple trees are buding and so are the lilacs wish they would wait alittle longer pretty sure winter is NOT over.

Been pretty busy around with all the get togethers on both sides of the family glad they are almost over.

At work on the 9th they are starting a weight lose contest,each group has 3 team members the team that loses the most wins a prize and the person that loses the most wins one also.One of the girles talked me and my best friend into being her partner so guess we'll see how that works out.It ends after 12 weeks.

Take care and enjoy you mom.Talk at you latter.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

jenjs

484 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  11:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Harley! Hope you enjoyed the holidays....and yes, they are like relatives; get tired of them after 3 days! I know I do...
Good luck on the contest! I think stuff like that gives one an xtra edge in the trial to weight loss. I don't think it'd hurt for sure.
So far things are going pretty smooth with mom, today she didn't ask for xtra pain meds, which is always a plus. We've re-done some things in the bathroom to make it easier for her to take her bath. We had an old sliding shower door that was disgusting & I'd asked for it to be taken out when we first moved in....a year ago! See, I know where I rate when it comes to needing things done...
Dad was planning on going back home on Saturday, but we ended up with 8 in of snow Fri night, so we made him stay extra. Tomorrow he'll go back, roads should be better. And we don't have our robins around anymore! I was glad to see them in the mornings, mom & I would sit & watch em in the tree next door outside the patio door. She loves watching outside.

Have a good Monday & I'm sure we'll be hearing from Beb then!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

beb48

503 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  1:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm back! Returned to work today. I was going to post from home several times and got interrupted. So I just shut down the PC and thought - go play! Enjoy the holidays and your time off, and that's exactly what I did.

We had wonderful holidays. Too fast. Too short. But wonderful.

Jenjs, you have the right idea. Make your mom as comfortable and happy as possible. That's really all you can do. Mom lived with me for 6 years before she passed away. She hated giving up her home of 46 years and living with one of her kids. I'm divorced. So I said - hey, come to my home. I have plenty of bedrooms, and besides that - I want you to come. It would make me happy to have you. So I moved out my furniture in one of the bedrooms and we moved her things in. Brought in 'her recliner' for her in the living room, and I also moved my dining room set out and used hers. So it was a combination of her things and mine. It made her so happy. She didn't want to give things up. I have my things in the basement. She's been gone for 3 years now. I still miss her!

It's been nuts at work this AM. I had over 300 emails to weed through and I don't have a clue how much mail. But I'm finally getting organized. Just finished lunch.

2009 will be a great year for us all!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 58  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use