Username:
Password:
Forgot your login? | Admin Options

PROFILE | ACTIVE TOPICS | SEARCH | FAQ
 All Forums
 FoodFit Community
 Welcome to the Neighborhood
 ROLE CALL! Who are you & where does everyone live?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topictopic nav
Page: of 14 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

mhuth71

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  11:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi everyone,
I'm mhuth71, I live in San Antonio, Texas. I'm happily married 11 years, with 3 beautiful children. Their 10yr.girl,6yrs.boy, and 5yrs.boy and they keep me pretty busy. I have 2 part-time jobs at the same school, Counselor's Clerk and After School Challenge Recreation Assistant. I am here because I really need to lose some serious weight. I am at 187 lbs, I'm only 5'2" so I know I'm waaayyy beyond obese for my heigth. I know I can lose it, and I can feel the muscles under my stomach so I know I would look pretty good if I were 120 lbs. The thing that was stopping me for the past 10 years is, and this is gonna sound dumb, but I was afraid to fail[V]. Then I had a heart to heart talk with my husband, and he told me that if I stepped back and looked at myself over the years I had been giving into my fear cause I was failing by not sticking to it. He apologized and said that if it weren't him telling me it would be someone else, who didn't love me and he was not about to let that happen. I admit what he told me really hurt[:(], then I thought about it. I'm sorry, but I took that as him telling me I couldn't do it, and I know that he didn't mean it that way. Well, that lit a fire under my butt[:(!], because I don't handle it very well when someome tells me I can't do something!! So, here I am!!! And I'm gonna see how bad a** [;)]my stomach is going to lose after I take off all this fat that's hiding it!!! That's me in a nutshell,[:D] but not for long!!!

Till Next Time,,God Bless!
mhuth71

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

AlansGrandma

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  4:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
[;)]Hello Everyone...I have enjoyed reading your posts this morning...I would like to join your community board...[:I]

I am AlansGrandma, I live in Oregon (Halfshell, where in Oregon are you?). I will be 62 in June (now THAT is scary)[8<]. I have 2 grown daughters, a grandson (Alan) who will be 5 in April; and a granddaughter (Sara) will be 2 on Dec. 23...I work as a "professional fund raiser" for non profit agencies who provide services for those with developmental disabilities. I really don't like my job very well, because I work evenings from 5-9--just about the time when people are getting home from a busy day and they just don't want to talk about fund raising projects...The job does not pay well, so my income is almost nil...I have not found any other work for those my age (and weight).

I have been in Oregon 4 years now...I moved here from a place near Palm Springs Calif.[8D] I am just now getting over my homesick feelings, but I think my heart is still there. Oregon is beautiful most of the year, but I don't do well in the wintertime. I have lots of arthritis and asthma; and the cold weather is not good for me. But my girls and grands are here.[^^]

Before I moved here I had lost about 60 pounds (using Metabolife)...now because of several factors I have gained it back and feel more depressed than ever...[:(]I must get this weight off again...just so I can be healthy enough to enjoy some retirement with my grandkids....But I don't seem to be able to "do it" alone...I need help, encouragement, weight plan that works, menu ideas (on a food stamp budget). I can't afford to do on line diet plan, because I just don't have the money...So I am turning to all of you for helpful ideas... My goal is to lose 50 pounds by June (I will turn 62)... I hurt so much that exercise is limited to slow walking, or the use of exercise low impact tapes...

Sorry this is so long...I will cut it shorter next time, I promise.
I look forward to hearing from you all again.
[:)]

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Halfshell

2 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  9:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi there Alansgrandma! Do you have a first name or do you prefer to go by your screen name? You asked where in Oregon I am...just SW of Portland now. Was born and raised in Ashland and we moved up here just over 30 years ago. Have a mini farm out here in the country and I spend most of my time taking care of it. We only have a couple cows, some chickens for fresh eggs right now and normally have a couple dogs roaming around.

I am so determined this time to get this weight off. I have not spent my whole life with a problem...just the past 15 years and especially the past 3 years when I stopped smoking and started eating and ballooned up to 220 pounds! That's over a 40 pound gain in 3 years. Yikes! Now with heart disease, kidney disease, gout, diabetes and arthritis...time to pay closer attention!

I have done enough research and experimenting now, and am finally having some success, so I can say with resonable certainty that the only way for ME to lose this blubber gut is to use more calories than I consume. That means movement every day...not just daily work but exercise. I chose my stationary bike and I get on it every morning the moment I get out of bed. I don't get my morning coffee until I have done that workout. That's incentive! LOL! I aim for 40 minutes...sometimes settle for 20 like today. Those days I climb back on and go more in the afternoon.

I've cut almost all processed foods out of my diet for the most part. All white flour, white sugar, white rice unless it is the unprocessed kind. I cook almost everything from scratch without salt (sob! Heart by-pass health requirement!) and I eat very simply. I have FINALLY gotten to the point where I believe this point....food is only fuel for the body. It isn't a reward for good behavior, it isn't something that is supposed to make me feel happy when I am sad, it isn't supposed to be there to entertain me when I am bored....it is FUEL FOR MY BODY...PERIOD.

Boy that was a hard lesson to learn and now it seems so simple! Granted, I still enjoy a good rich dessert...but I have a much healthier attitude towards it and I can settle for a small piece of it and savor it. I still have my bad times though and this latest diagnoses threw me into a panic almost. I have to succeed with this NOW if I want any quality of life in the time I have remaining. The best way to achieve that is with a good support group. And here you are!

Now...take this dang soap box away from me before I make myself ill with all the preaching! LOL! I look forward to getting acquainted with all of you. Let's do this for US....for our own pride and health and self esteem. Let the results fo what we do for US knock the socks off those around us!

Have a great day!
Nance AKA Halfshell

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Holly

USA
1192 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  09:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Welcome to all of our new members. I think if you stick with us for a while you will do great.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

bbhushon

7 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  12:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Welcome all you newbies. And Halfshell, I think your soap box does us all well. It works for me. Thanks, Bloommin

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

sandraphil

1 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  12:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi everyone my name is Sandra I just joined still finding my way around.
I'm 59 and live in Vancouver,BC. I enjoy walking but lately haven't been very active need to get back to walking around the seawall here at Stanley park. Beautiful scenery when it isn't raining.
There are some things on the menu that I would like to change especially for breakfast but can't seem to find alturnatives.
Well that's it for now will try to come back every couple of days.
Bye for now
Sandra

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Barbara Fisher

1 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  03:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Everyone,
I'm Hatland from Southern, Oregon....Grants Pass, not far from Ashland. I weigh 173 and am 30+ pounds over weight. I need motivation, also. I'm new to the sight and love chatting with all of you. I love being in a group that has the same goal.[:I] I'm 68 and don't think my age has much to do with it. It's my lack of exercise and love of chocolate (anything). I'm ready for the weight loss, where is the weigh in? Do you mean weigh at home? I have to look this sight over, I just got here. See ya tomorrow,

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

clynpnt

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  1:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am new to the group. My name is Lynn, and I am from Tennessee. I am 60 years old, I love cross stitching, reading and cooking.How I came to find this site as I was looking for Low Sodium recipes along with low sugar. My Husband and I both have High BP and he is a diabetic and I have Diviticultius, so I have to watch what I eat, plus trying to cook different for hubby also

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Gerich

2 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  11:51:32 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Everyone!
I thought I'd give it a go on the internet this time around. [:)]
I am glad to have a community to help me keep the main thing the main thing. I am fine with exercise and water but the food has been out of whack since a family crisis brought some of our grandchildren to live with us...now I am having to do all the things I thought I was finished with (bake cookies for the holidays, make kid friendly meals, etc, etc) and deal with much tragedy as well. My old useful weight management skills and techniques have eroded over the last 3 years but I think right now is a good time to start taking care of myself again!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

AlansGrandma

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  9:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Holly

Great idea!

My name is Holly. [:)] [quote]I will be turning 30 this year (scary[/quote

Hi Holly...I had to laugh when you said turning 30 is scary...I will be 62 in June...Now THAT is scary. I have been your age 2 times. I have been out of school 40 years...I could have a grandchild the will be 30! [:O]

Anyway, it is nice to meet you...I am Linda, live in Oregon...have 2 grown daughters...2 grandbabies...I live on a limited budget, I work as a "professional" fundraiser for non profit agencies...No I don't like my job...looking forward to retirement.

My passion is spending time with my grandkids, going to Kingdom Hall for Bible Study Meetings, listening to "oldies" music,and enjoying
time with friends.

Hope 2005 will be good to you.[:)]

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

dance2nite

1 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  07:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi everyone!
I live in Maryland. I work in a hospital. My children are grown and I am a new bride at the age of 54. I know diets don't work so I am not going to say I want to diet...I just want to change my eating habits and lose about 40 pounds along the long long way. Tried every plan known to womankind and have no success. Maybe this time[:(]
It is nice to read about everyone.
Happy New Year

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

fattyfatty2x4

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  10:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
WOW! I missed a few newbies here!

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME! I certainly hope you take full advantage of the support here. Please do not hesitate to post, question, advise or just plain ol gripe! It all helps.

Be sure to start out slowly and make small changes in your eating/exercise habits. Those small changes add up and turn into BIG changes.

Another helpful tip is to keep a food/exercise journal. Make it as simple or complex as you like, but just do it! It really helps you pinpoint where you need to make changes.

2x4 ~ CW:150+ ~ GW for now: below 140 ~ I think I can! I think I can!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

oregonian7@earthlink.net

67 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  11:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hey all!

I am a "Newbie" and I live in Oregon...North coast area. I need to lose 50 pounds. So far, in the last 4 years, I have lost 180 pounds. I am stuck and have been doing the "yo-yo" thing. LOL!!! I hope to "meet" you all and am interested in any and all tips. Modivation is not a problem for me!!!

All take care!

Hugs,
dragonfly

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Holly

USA
1192 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  09:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dragonfly - congratulations on your loss to date!!! Losing 180 pounds is amazing. Kudos to you!!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

fattyfatty2x4

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  09:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
WOW! Dragonfly, you are doing GREAT!! I am amazed and very proud for your weightloss to date! Take advantage of this board! You're gonna do great!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Gerich

2 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  11:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Wow! Dragonfly...good for you!
I have a suggestion you may not have heard: to "jump start" your metabolism and get it cooperating again mix up your meals or your food groups. You know: if you usually have a bagel for breakfast have a fruit smoothie or a banana and a piece of toast. Or have lunch for breakfast or breakfast for supper. Change your method or time of exercise. In other words, what you want to do is shock your system in to paying attention again! All you need to be consistent about, really, is sticking with your food plan and getting in your water and exercise. You can play around with the varieties of food or times you eat. Your body gets in a rut just like your mind does sometimes! You also want to remember that what you did to get it off is what you need to do to get more off...and keep it off. Be ruthlessly honest with yourself about how you are doing. Have old habits crept back? Look at what you did to lose those pounds and ask yourself if you're doing those things to lose the rest...or are you widhun' and hopin'? You can do it...you've already proved that to yourself! Wow, you have GOT what it takes, we know that you do and we're rootin' for you. One final important thing: have you redone your profile to make sure your caolric and exercise needs are reasonble to accomodate your new body? Go for it!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

bloommin

37 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  12:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dragonfly, you go girl!
Welcome
Gerich, wonderful ideas.
bloommin

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

oregonian7@earthlink.net

67 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  9:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you all for a very warm welcome! :) Yes, I am proud of myself for losing all that weight. I thank God he gave me the strength and modivation (spelling?) to pick my butt up from the couch! LOL! I Have done exactly what you suggested; breakfast for dinner/lunch, I sometimes can't eat breakfast so I grab a banana and a Choice can (Slim-Fast type drink). I also "jump started" my body by doing cardio everyday for 1- 1 1/2 hours. I love that part of my day!!!! I have been doing this since January 1. I weigh myself every Sunday morning so I won't know how much I lost yet. BUT...I can tell you this: I put on a pair of vinyl-type sweats,they won't stay up! yeah!!! Everytime I start walking, they fall down. :) I had to laugh this morning because last year around July, they were too tight on me!

I also see a nutritionist 1 time a month. I go in on the 26 of this month. Wish me luck I have lost at least 10 pounds. He wants me to lose 8-10 pounds a month for 3 months then drop it to 1-2 pounds a week.

Thank you all again for that warm welcome. I LOVE this message board!

Hugs to all,
dragonfly

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Kar807

4 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  12:30:23 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi

I just started today and live in Indiana. I am a grandmother with two grandson born in 2004. Sam is 11 months old and Quentin is 1 month old.

I love to read, listen to music and cook.

I have a desk job and hate to excerise. I also have problems with my knees, so I need to lose a lot of weight (150 lbs).

I'm really glad to meet you all and welcome any suggestions on how to make the most of this site.

Kar

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

fattyfatty2x4

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  8:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Welcome Kar!! You made the right choice by coming here and with some support and encouragement you are gonna do GREAT!!! Keep posting, keep asking questions and keep the focus!!![^^]

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use