PROFILE | ACTIVE TOPICS | SEARCH | FAQ
 All Forums
 FoodFit Community
 Low-Carb Lifestyle
 Atkins Pyramid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic topic nav Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

wbrianwhite

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  2:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Send wbrianwhite an AOL message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
What does everyone think of the Atkins 'pyramid'? Is there a problem with the old pyramid? And why are nuts and beans less desirable than meat? I'd think they'd be better for you, even in the Atkins plan.

Report To Moderator

rosaleen2003

17 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  04:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
don't know what the Atkins pyramid is - do you have a link?

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

wbrianwhite

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  12:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Send wbrianwhite an AOL message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Here's the link to the Atkins Pyramid:
[url]http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/2/10-121449.html[/url]

The interesting thing is that it says that as you exercise more, you need to worry about carbs less. So why don't they advocate people exercising more rather than advocating counting carbs? Personally, it's easier for me to exercise more than it is for me to resist a carb craving.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

fattyfatty2x4

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  2:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wbrianwhite

The interesting thing is that it says that as you exercise more, you need to worry about carbs less. So why don't they advocate people exercising more rather than advocating counting carbs? Personally, it's easier for me to exercise more than it is for me to resist a carb craving.

I wish *I* could say that I would rather exercise than fight a craving! LOL Sometimes I feel like a three year old throwing a temper tantrum when it comes down to exercise! HA!

You would think that exercise would be one of the things stressed by any and all diet plans, but the sad truth is that people want to experience some sort of "magical weight loss"... We all know it does not work that way.

I think the main thing a person gets from plans such as the Atkins Program is some routine and a place to start. If someone begins by paying attention to their carb intake, they are going to be paying more attention to their overall eating habits and end up consuming less calories. Once they see results, they feel better about themselves and it gets easier to exercise.... and as you mentioned above, when you exercise more you have to worry less about your calorie intake (unless you get out of control with it, of course).[:<>]

2x4 was here

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Theresa130225

739 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  09:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Havent heard about that one. All the buzz here is the SouthBeach[:{}]

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

kykaca

1 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  3:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
been on atkins for 1.5yrs love it if you dont stick wt.comes back fast have to learn how not to cheat.feel grrreeeaatt.wouldnt change a thing

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

samhain

22 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  4:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Send samhain a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by fattyfatty2x4

You would think that exercise would be one of the things stressed by any and all diet plans, but the sad truth is that people want to experience some sort of "magical weight loss"... We all know it does not work that way.
2x4 was here

I had to learn the hard way that there is no such thing as "magical weight loss." There isn't a quick fix. The only true answer to weight loss is to decrease your daily calorie/fat intake and increase your exercise. It boils down to hard work. However, if you really want to do it, you will. Nothing can stop the human willpower factor.
I know that's not the answer we all want to hear, but it is the truth.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Luv4shoes

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  08:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I think a well balanced diet with exercise is the way to go ~ giving up carbs for the short term doesn't work, at least not for me. When I deprive myself I crave more. I do find that when I exercise I feel better and crave carbs less.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

samhain

22 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  09:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Send samhain a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Canarsiegirl

When I deprive myself I crave more. I do find that when I exercise I feel better and crave carbs less.

Ah, yes, the deprive yourself=more intense cravings thing. When I was "dieting" I found that I always ate around what I craved. To me a diet is temporary, eating healthy is a lifestyle.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Luv4shoes

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  2:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
[code][/code]I agree with that thought.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic  Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use