PROFILE | ACTIVE TOPICS | SEARCH | FAQ
 All Forums
 FoodFit Community
 Women's Health
 better sleep
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topictopic nav Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

anolen2

1 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  11:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I don't sleep well and I was wondering if it has anything to do with how I breathe. Ever since I can remember, I don't feel very comfortable breathing through my nose, so I breathe through my mouth when I sleep. Does this keep me from staying asleep the whole night or keep me from getting as refreshing sleep as possible? Any input is much appreciated.

Anne

Report To Moderator

Holly

USA
1192 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  09:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi!

I don't sleep well usually, either, but for different reasons. I just have trouble falling asleep - my mind just won't turn off.

Have you ever thought about having a sleep study done. Maybe you have sleep apnea? I don't know very much about the difference between breathing through your nose versus your mouth. Do you know if you snore? I would definitely talk to your doctor to see if a sleep study is called for.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

cometchaser

822 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  12:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I agree with holly that it's worth getting checked, even if it turns out to be nothing. some disorders have unrestful sleep as a marker symptom, and idnetification of an underlying disorder can really help you start to fix the problem.

That being said, i dont know that the nose breathing vs. mouth breathing would effect your sleep as much as anyone you room with - mouth breathers often snore. but it does sound like perhaps apnea or another illness (chronic sinusitis?) is involved.

here's a few helpful tips -
turn of your TV and computer and overhead lights an hour before bedtime. all that light is overstimulating your brain. and stop eating!

do some quiet stretching, meditating, or prayer as a way of relaxing in the soft light.

make sure you're warm/cool enough where you sleep.

stay well hydrated.

get to bed early enough that you get at least 8 hours of sleep in before you get up.

good luck!

Comet

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

mississa

1 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  03:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I understand not sleeping well. My problem is my weight. At 5'1" and 230lbs, I have problems breathing, my back and body hurts and it takes a long time to get comfortable. To Change positions, I have to wake myself up and the pain is unbearable.
Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I have to make a change. I can't continue this self destructive behavior any longer. I know I am killing myself. My heart beets irregularly and my abdomen hurts. I have to make a change and this website is a godsend. Thank you for being here.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

wickens36

6 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  4:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I too have problems sleeping but i think it arises from stress at work, once i am asleep i'm fine but i find that dropping off can be a probelm as can waking in the morning. Sometimes i sleep ok but wake up the next morning feeling like i didn't sleep at all.

I have been checked for Anemia but am ok. But i have started trying to relax more at work and take a step back and my sleep pattern is slowly (very slowly) returning to normal.

Plus my weight gain and my diet have not been helping the situation.

But i would welcome any ideas

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use