PROFILE | ACTIVE TOPICS | SEARCH | FAQ
 All Forums
 FoodFit Community
 Job Focus
 How Long?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topictopic nav Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Holly

USA
1192 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  4:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
How long have you been at your current job? What is the longest amount of time you have spent at any job? Why did you leave? Was it hard to leave a job you had been at for a long time?

My career future seems so uncertain right now. If things go the way I want and think they will, I will be leaving my job of 10 years. Keep in mind I am only 30 - I have been here 1/3 of my life. Yikes. This is scary and exciting and I have been a big ball of stress for the last several weeks/months while this looms. I am sure once the transition is made, I will be fine and do great and I am really excited, but this interim time is aweful. I should know the first week of October what my future holds. I can't bear to think of these next 3 weeks. But I have lots to do in preparation in case it does happen. If not, I will just be a lot more organized that at present.

Report To Moderator

fattyfatty2x4

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  5:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
WOW Holly! Sounds like some exciting changes could be coming your way!! Good luck!

I have been at my current job for over 5 1/2 years. I LOVE my job!

Before that I had my own business for a little over 6 years. It was hard to make the transition from 7 days a week to 4 days a week!! Now I am back up to 5 days a week and I am just fine with it!

I have had about a MILLION jobs doing all kinds of things from automotive work to carpentry to road construction to factory work to retail to office administration..... TONS of stuff!

I am perfectly happy to stick with this job FOREVER tho! Everyone is GREAT and the company really looks out for its employees (100% health & dental insurance, 401K & profit sharing, vacation & flex time, etc.) I am in for the long haul!!!

2x4 ~ CW:150+ ~ GW for now: below 140 ~ I think I can! I think I can!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

cometchaser

822 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  3:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holly

How long have you been at your current job? What is the longest amount of time you have spent at any job? Why did you leave? Was it hard to leave a job you had been at for a long time?

Hi Holly!

I have been in my current career for 7 or 8 years, but the current job for only 3 and a half or so. the last job, as reporter at a station in southeast AK, was my longest position - about 5 years. but's it's not really a good judgement, as I was in X role for 6 months, Y roll for 3 months, then back to X for a year, then on to Z for three months, then filling in for 5 months, etc. this job has been consistent and normal for three and a half years. for me that's amazing. I'm a bit of a gypsy, so his my husband. we've packed up the family MANY times and moved. changed careers, gone back to school, etc. it's never dull around here.

As for hard to leave a job - even short jobs can be hard to leave if you've connected to the people and the mission there. also, if leaving the job takes away your financial stability that can be downright terrifying. but for me, change just opens new doors, doors that either werent there or didn't get noticed when you were sticking to the status quo. I would never have even known about the current job if I had not gone looking. his job managed to bring me and my family back to my home town, doing a rewarding job I love and that has reliable pay. in my hometown. but I would have let it go to someone else if I had kept on at my fun but chaotic and UN-reliable previous job.

change allows you to grow, and take adventures. I have had people tell me I have to "settle down" with three kids and bills and a dog. why? my family travelled with me. so I travel with my kids. they may whne, a little but I know I'm not hurting them by keeping them on the move, despite what other people say. and they will be adventurers when they grow up. I could not ask for more.

Will I stay in this job for long? probably not. I'm aiming for getting our current financial crisis past - about 3 years - and hopefully husband making a little more, then I'm quitting and sticking to freelance work, which I enjoy more. but who knows? maybe some really cool oppurtunity in... I dunno, Botswana... will come along. then I'll take that. why not? life is short and stability is overrated.

:-)

my $2.00. I'm a big spender when it comes to opinions.

Comet

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use