PROFILE | ACTIVE TOPICS | SEARCH | FAQ
 All Forums
 FoodFit Community
 Recipe Exchange
 Thanksgiving recipes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topictopic nav Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Holly

USA
1192 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  4:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Anyone have any recipes that put a little zing into side dishes - particularly veggies?

I have a 3 bean salad recipe that tastes really good, but there is actually quite a bit of sugar in it, so it may not be the best one to post here.

Report To Moderator

rhondafaith1959

23 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  01:24:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
well i guess this is a veggie,
i bought a new book called the abs diet, you may have heard of it, there is one for sweet potatoes as follows that is out of this world, it would be good for kids,
2 sweet potatoes washed of course 4 min in micro, turn 4 more min split in half add butter chopped pecans and raisens. soooo veryyyyyyyyyyy awesomeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! i will be making these for christmas:)

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Holly

USA
1192 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  2:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Oooh - Rhonda. I LOVE sweet potatoes. They are one of my favorite foods. I have a super recipe for sweet potatoes, but it is so high in calories from sugar, but it is delish. The raisins sounds great. I will have to try this.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

rhondafaith1959

23 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  5:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
yes mame, they are the best and so ez. please let me know when you do.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

rhondafaith1959

23 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  5:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
oh yea i forgot, prick 1st

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

fattyfatty2x4

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  3:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holly

Anyone have any recipes that put a little zing into side dishes - particularly veggies?
I have been meaning to reply to this post for some time!

Lightly steam some veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, carrots, asparagus, etc. or a medly. Drain and toss with a few tablespoons of fat free italian salad dressing! It's YUMMY!

you can also toss asparagus and/or fresh mushrooms with FF salad dressing and roast on a baking sheet in a hot oven until barely cooked (375 degrees? for about 20 min depending on the qty and size)

MASHED POTATOES: Instead of making your mashed potatoes with milk, cream and butter just use fat free sour cream, fresh garlic, S&P and parsley. It's VERY YUMMY and adds a little "tang" to the potatoes! You can also use low fat/sodium chicken/veg broth, but I don't care for the saltyness.

Have you ever tried ROASTING sweet potatoes?!?! They are SO GOOD that way!! I prefer my sweet potatoes without the added sugar and sweetness, so I wash and cut in chunks along with a large onion. Toss with a little olive oil, S&P and spread on a baking sheet. Roast in 400 degree oven until tender! This also works with butternut squash.

Another favorite staple for me is FRESH GREEN BEANS (you can use frozen). Soak a few tablespoons of raisins in boiling water for a few minutes (or any other fried fruit). In a dry skillet, toast some pine nuts or slivered almonds. Remove & set aside when they begin to brown and get fragrent. Steam/Saute beans in skillet, remove from heat & add raisins (drained) & nuts. Drizzle with about 2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup), add generous fresh ground pepper & salt to taste.

2x4 ~ CW:150+ ~ GW for now: below 140 ~ I think I can! I think I can!

Edited by - fattyfatty2x4 on 12/09/2005 3:08:05 PM

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use