PROFILE | ACTIVE TOPICS | SEARCH | FAQ
 All Forums
 FoodFit Community
 Recipe Exchange
 My Mom's Favorite Recipes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topictopic nav Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

AngelaMoore

4 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  6:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
My mother has always lived in Texas, and she loves to make dishes with Southern and Southwestern flavors. Here are two of her favorites. They're both fast and low in fat.

SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN

1 large red bell pepper
1 large poblano chili pepper or 1 can green chilies
1 small red onion
1 can Rotel tomatoes and chilies
1/4 cup flour
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
4 skinless chicken breast
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Chop the bell pepper, poblano pepper and red onion into bite-sized pieces. Mix flour, chili powder and cumin together and coat the chicken. Heat about a tablespoon of oil in large skillet (or substitute Pam for oil). Add the chicken breasts and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chicken.

Add the tomato, peppers and onion to the skillet. Stir in the remaining seasoned flour and add the broth. Bring to a boil. Add the chicken, cover, and let simmer until done.

Serves 4

CORN SALAD

1 (2oz) jar pimentos, drained 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 (16oz) cans white shoe peg corn, drained
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine vegetables and toss. Combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour over vegetables and toss lightly. Cover and chill overnight. Drain before serving.

Serves 8-10

Report To Moderator

blackcat

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  6:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
These sound delicious, especially the corn salad. I love corn - have already started seeing it in the stores. This would be great to take to a potluck or picnic!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Luv4shoes

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  7:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sounds yummy - great for a summer meal

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Theresa130225

739 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  7:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I was looking for new ideas and found this one though Id bring it to the top...Iam trying both this weekend

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use