PROFILE | ACTIVE TOPICS | SEARCH | FAQ
 All Forums
 FoodFit Community
 Recipe Exchange
 Waldorf salad?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topictopic nav Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Holly

USA
1192 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  09:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Does anyone know how to make Waldorf salad? I know it has apples, but other than that, I have no clue. I think I had one that had marshmallows, but online I am finding recipes that use whip cream. So if anyone has a recipe that they have tried, I would love it.

Report To Moderator

fattyfatty2x4

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  12:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
DANG IT! My recipe books are still packed!!

Holly, a while back I was craving the Waldorf Salad I remember as a kid. It was very simple and basic since I come from Mid-West roots (Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. EVERY cassarole or salad has mayonnaise in it!)

I searched and searched online and kept finding the wrong recipes. I wanted the WALDORF SALAD that Mrs Robert Smith brings to the Church Picnic.... so I hit my vintage cookbooks and found it. I do not have it on my computer here at work, but let me see if I can modify the one I found on www.Epicurious.com

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102179

1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
4 Granny Smith apples, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/3 cups very thinly sliced celery
1 1/3 cups red seedless grapes, halved
Chopped Walnuts
Romaine lettuce leaves

Toss the apple with the lemon juice, add celery, grapes and walnuts. Mix the mayo, sour cream and sugar together and toss with apple mixture.

I think mine might have raisins also, but I cannot remember. If you do add raisins, be sure to pour boiling water over them and soak for about 15 minutes.

2x4 ~ CW:150+ ~ GW for now: below 140 ~ I think I can! I think I can!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

fattyfatty2x4

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  12:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
ok. here it is!!! the basic recipe:

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/waldorfsalad.htm

Waldorf Salad

3 or 4 apples, unpeeled, cut from the core, and chopped into bite size pieces (about 3 cups)

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/3 cup raisins

2/3 cup chopped celery

1/3 cup walnuts (optional)

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon sugar

Don't bother peeling the apples unless their skins are really unattractive. Cut up 3 or 4 of them, until you get about 2-1/2 or 3 cups of chopped apples. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the apples. The acid in the lemon juice prevents the apples from turning brown. The raisins will taste best if you plump them first. Do this by measuring them into a cereal bowl and adding enough warm tap water to cover them completely. Allow them to sit for a few minutes, absorbing the water, and softening up. Drain them very well when you need them. I actually squeeze them to make sure they are very dry. Chop up the celery, it should take about 2 stalks or so. I add black walnuts because I get them for free, but you can use regular walnuts or omit them completely if you don't have any handy. Mix everything together in a medium sized bowl with the mayonnaise and sugar, coating all of the ingredients with the mayonnaise. It is now ready to serve, or you can chill it overnight and serve it tomorrow instead. This is so crunchy and chewy, it is perfect contrast for a meal which is soft, or easy to chew. This recipe serves 6.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Holly

USA
1192 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  1:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you very much.

:)

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

fattyfatty2x4

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  1:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holly

I think I had one that had marshmallows, but online I am finding recipes that use whip cream.
Holly, are you thinking of that other "potluck salad" that has marshmallows, coconut, pineapple, mandarin oranges, sometimes fruit cocktail, etc.?

THAT ONE is called Fruit Ambrosia or Ambrosia Salad and there are as many variations of that one as well:

http://salad.allrecipes.com/az/AmbrosiaFruitSalad.asp

http://salad.allrecipes.com/az/mbrsiSldII.asp

http://salad.allrecipes.com/az/Mmsmbrsi.asp

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Holly

USA
1192 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  2:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The person who made it called it Waldorf, but it was probably a cross between the two. Maybe I'll just have to make my own - those ambrosia salads sound YUMMY.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Coontree

24 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  10:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I know it has been awhile since you asked, but there are as maney verations to Waldorf Salad as Carter has liver pills. The one I use in my restarunts has real good results

You dice apples and bananas, alittle limmon juice to hold color, add chopped BLACK walnuts, mix with mayo to coat. You can use lowfat ifin ya want or salad dressing, salt as needed serve chilled not cold

Hope you like it as much as my customers

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

cookiepam0746

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  8:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Send cookiepam0746 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

TRADITIONAL WALDORF SALAD

For as long as I can remember, Waldorf Salad has been a traditional fancy in our family. This salad has numerous healthy foods in it and is so tasty, so is a winner almost any time of the year.

INGREDIENTS:

2 firm Red Delicious apples unpeeled

1 tbsp lemon juice

3/4 cup firm chilled celery

1/4 cup plain non-fat yogurt

3 tbsp Kraft's Miracle Whip

Dash sea salt

1/4 cup chopped walnuts

FOLLOW ME:

Using a large mixing bowl, toss in lemon juice; add celery.

Combine yogurt and Kraft's Miracle Whip and a Dash of Sea Salt, pouring mixture over apples and celery.

Arrange lettuce leaves in a nice Serving Bowl (medium), and spoon salad on lettuce leaves.

Sprinkle with walnuts.

Voila - here is a joyous tasty salad which looks beautiful when salad is laid on lettuce leaves. Enjoy!

Serves 6.

http://www.healthyrecipesforhealthyliving.com/2007/09/10/waldorf-salad-traditional/ for more healthy recipes that are delicious!

healthyrecipesforhealthyliving.com

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Parador

2 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  07:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hey -
I saw your request for a waldorf salad - and i couldn't help but notice that these are quite different from the version I'm "used" to. I'm from Denmark, and the salad is something we traditionally serve with wild meat such as deer. So here it goes - traditional waldorf salad as the one you find in Northern Europe:
3-4 stems of celery
2-3 apples, preferably Cox Orange
300g green grapes
25-50g walnuts
2-3 dl creme fraiche (18%, but I use 9%)
All you do is mix the ingredients and serve. Its really good and tastes excellent with wild meat such as deer or wild ducks etc.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Parador

2 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  07:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hey -
I saw your request for a waldorf salad - and i couldn't help but notice that these are quite different from the version I'm "used" to. I'm from Denmark, and the salad is something we traditionally serve with wild meat such as deer. So here it goes - traditional waldorf salad as the one you find in Northern Europe:
3-4 stems of celery
2-3 apples, preferably Cox Orange
300g green grapes
25-50g walnuts
2-3 dl creme fraiche (18%, but I use 9%)
All you do is mix the ingredients and serve. Its really good and tastes excellent with wild meat such as deer or wild ducks etc.

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie678

6 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  4:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Deer meat is tasty, not sure if i would want it with all that other stuff though. Thanks!

Report To Moderator
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FoodFit.com Community © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

FoodFit is a part of HealthCentral
© 1999- The HealthCentral Network, Inc., Copyright All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use