1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, garlic, bay leaf, nutmeg, potatoes, carrots and parsnips and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down so that the mixture simmers, season with salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Drain the vegetables over a bowl. Retain 1 cup of the milk mixture and discard the bay leaf.
4. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray and arrange half of the sliced vegetables in it. Sprinkle the ham and half of the cheese over the vegetables. Cover with the remaining vegetables. Pour the reserved milk over the vegetables and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
5. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking until the cheese and bread crumbs begin to brown, about 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.
Serving Size: 1 wedge
Number of Servings: 6