Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 3 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in veggies
lower in fat
lower in carbs
3 pounds chicken thighs and/or legs
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
about 4 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 stalk celery stalk, coarsely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 sprig fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup red wine
2 quarts Basic Chicken Stock (see recipe), or low-sodium canned
1 cup quartered mushrooms
1 cup pearl onions, peeled
1. Season the chicken with salt pepper. Dust the chicken with flour.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wide, shallow pot over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes on each side. The oil should be hot enough to sear in the juices but not burn. Remove the chicken from the pan and drain off the excess fat.
3. Turn the heat to medium-high and add the vegetables. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until they begin to soften. Turn up the heat and brown slightly. (This can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator up to 3 days or frozen.)
4. Add the bay leaf, thyme and red wine, and cook until the wine is almost completely evaporated.
5. Put the seared chicken back in the pot and cover with stock. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours. Do not let it boil rapidly.
6. Strain the stew and retain the chicken and liquid. Discard the vegetables. Return the liquid to the pot and simmer to reduce its volume by half.
7. Meanwhile, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pearl onions and cook until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
8. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, season them with salt and pepper and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
9. Remove the skin from the chicken; discard the skin. Add the chicken, mushrooms and onions to the reduced liquid.
10. Adjust the seasoning with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cups
Number of Servings: 6
|Fat||14 g||Fiber||2 g|
|Protein||50 g||Saturated Fat||3 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.