Ratings & Reviews
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon or so for handling the dough
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (don't use almonds, they are too hard)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease a cookie sheet.
2. Put the vegetable shortening, butter, sugar, almond extract and vanilla extract into the bowl of an electric mixer, blend at high speed to a cream. Add the eggs one at a time.
3. Switch mixer to low speed, or if you prefer, stir by hand and add 2 cups of the flour.
4. Stir in the walnuts. The dough should be sticky but stiff enough to hold a shape.
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured board. With floured hands, divide the dough into 2 pieces. Form each piece into a roll about 9-inches long and 2 to 3-inches wide. Place the rolls onto the greased cookie sheet, leaving about 1 inch between them.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the rolls are firm to the touch.
7. Remove rolls from oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. Raise the oven temperature to 350°F. Using a serrated knife, slice each roll into pieces, 3/4-inch wide, and place the slices, cut side up, on the cookie sheet. Return to the oven for 15 more minutes or until slices are golden.
Serving Size: 1 mandelbrot
Number of Servings: 24
|Fat||6 g||Fiber||0 g|
|Protein||2 g||Saturated Fat||1 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.