1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon or so for handling the dough
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (don't use almonds, they are too hard)
2. Put the vegetable shortening, butter, sugar, almond extract and vanilla extract into the bowl of an electric mixer, blend at high speed to a cream. Add the eggs one at a time.
3. Switch mixer to low speed, or if you prefer, stir by hand and add 2 cups of the flour.
4. Stir in the walnuts. The dough should be sticky but stiff enough to hold a shape.
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured board. With floured hands, divide the dough into 2 pieces. Form each piece into a roll about 9-inches long and 2 to 3-inches wide. Place the rolls onto the greased cookie sheet, leaving about 1 inch between them.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the rolls are firm to the touch.
7. Remove rolls from oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. Raise the oven temperature to 350°F. Using a serrated knife, slice each roll into pieces, 3/4-inch wide, and place the slices, cut side up, on the cookie sheet. Return to the oven for 15 more minutes or until slices are golden.
Serving Size: 1 mandelbrot
Number of Servings: 24
- 12 g
- 6 g
- 0 g
- 2 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1 g
- 8 mg