Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 5 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in veggies
4 teaspoons olive oil, plus a little extra
2 onions, chopped
1 rib of celery, finely chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef sirloin
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup whole milk
pinch of nutmeg
1 cup red wine
4 cups chopped, canned tomatoes, drained
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
1 1/2 pounds lasagna noodles
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon olive oil
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion becomes translucent. Add the celery, carrot and garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
2. Add the ground beef, salt and pepper. Break up the meat with a fork and cook just until the meat has lost its raw color.
3. Add the milk and simmer, stirring frequently, until it has almost completely evaporated. Add a pinch of nutmeg.
4. Add the wine and simmer until it has almost completely evaporated. Add the tomatoes and oregano, adjust the heat so that the sauce barely simmers and cook for at least 1 hour. If the mixture gets too dry, add a little water so that it will not burn on the bottom. Let cool and combine with the ricotta cheese.
5. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and prepare a large bowl of cold water. Cook the lasagna noodles until they are al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes, drain and plunge into cold water. Drain, again and lay the noodles out on paper towels and blot dry. Smear noodles with a thin coating of olive oil.
6. Preheat the oven to 350. Smear the bottom of a lasagna pan or baking dish with butter and line it with a single layer of lasagna noodles. Spread a thin coating of meat sauce over the pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
7. Cover with another layer of lasagna noodles and repeat the operation until you run out of pasta or filling. Finish with a layer of pasta and sprinkle with the Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.
8. Bake until golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let the lasagna stand for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
Serving Size: 1 piece
Number of Servings: 14
|Fat||6 g||Fiber||3 g|
|Protein||22 g||Saturated Fat||2 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.