Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 3 visitors
This recipe is...
Honey Barbecued Pork with Sweet and Sour Slaw
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into matchsticks
2 tablespoons sherry or miso
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons honey
1. Combine the cabbage and red onion in a large, heat-proof bowl.
2. Bring the chicken broth, rice vinegar, sugar, salt and dry mustard to a boil and pour it over the cabbage mixture. Do not stir. Let cool and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. Add the sesame oil, red pepper and cucumber to the cabbage and toss to combine.
(This can be done in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.)
For the pork:
1. Place the pork in a shallow bowl. Whisk the sherry, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic and ginger together in a small bowl and pour the mixture over the pork. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
3. Remove the pork from the marinade and place it on the grill. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade, combine it with the honey and discard the rest of the marinade.
5. Grill the pork for 5 minutes on each side. Brush the pork with the honey mixture and continue cooking until the pork is cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes more. Discard any remaining honey mixture.
6. Allow the pork to rest for 2 to 3 minutes before slicing. Slice the pork on the bias and serve 3 to 4 slices with a large spoonful of slaw.
Serving Size: 4 ounces of pork with slaw
Number of Servings: 6
- 17 g
- 7 g
- 3 g
- 38 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2 g
- 579 mg