This recipe is...
Vegetarian Acorn Squash Bisque
1/3 cup finely chopped onions
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
3 medium size acorn squashes (about 3 pounds)
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
about 1 quart vegetable stock or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons toasted acorn squash seeds, optional
2. Pierce the squashes several times and cook in the microwave on high power for 3 to 5 minutes until the shell softens. Cut the squashes in half, scoop out the seeds and reserve them for making the Toasted Squash Seeds. Place the squash halves cut-side down on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven until tender and easily pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes. Let cool. Reserve the juice on the baking sheet.
3. Scoop the pulp out of the squash skin with a spoon and set aside.
4. Heat the peanut oil in a deep saucepan over low heat. Add the onions, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Season lightly with salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add the squash pulp and the vegetable stock and bring to a boil over high heat.
6. Reduce the heat and simmer until the onion and celery are completely tender, about 15 minutes.
7. After removing the bay leaf, puree the mixture in a blender, in batches, being careful not to overfill the blender.
8. Reheat the bisque. Add stock if it is too thick.
9. Serve hot, sprinkled with the Toasted Squash Seeds.
Serving Size: about 1/2 cup
Number of Servings: 6
- 27 g
- 3 g
- 4 g
- 4 g
- Saturated Fat
- 0 g
- 119 mg