Ratings & Reviews
This recipe is...
rich in grains
lower in fat
lower in sodium
1 cup short-grain brown rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium-size red onion, finely diced
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the rice in a large, deep bowl and cover with water. Drain and repeat until the water runs clear. Run your fingers through the rice several times to fluff the kernels.
2. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy saucepan. Add the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the onions become translucent but not brown. Stir in the curry powder.
3. Add the rice and the stock and bring to a boil over high heat.
5. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
6. Remove from the heat and allow to sit, covered for 10 minutes. Add the salt and pepper, and fluff with a fork.
Serving Size: about 1/2 cup
Number of Servings: 4
|Fat||5 g||Fiber||2 g|
|Protein||6 g||Saturated Fat||1 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.