Ratings & Reviews
This recipe is...
rich in grains
lower in fat
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 sprig fresh thyme
2/3 cup pearl barley
1 cup vegetable stock
1/2 pound assorted mushrooms,sliced
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
1. In a small oven-proof pot heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and thyme and cook until the onions become translucent but not brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add the barley, pinch of salt and a few twists of freshly ground pepper. Stir to coat the barley evenly with oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add the stock and the mushrooms and bring to a boil over high heat.
4. When the stock boils, cover the pot and place in the oven until the barley is tender, about 30 minutes.
5. Adjust the salt and pepper and fluff with a fork.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Number of Servings: 4
|Fat||2 g||Fiber||6 g|
|Protein||5 g||Saturated Fat||0 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.