Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 7 visitors
This recipe is...
Penne Pasta Casserole with Sausage, Peppers, Onions and Tomatoes
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 pound lean turkey sausage
freshly ground black pepper
2 cups reduced-sodium, diced tomatoes, with their juices
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1/3 cup fresh, chopped basil
1 small sweet onion, quartered and sliced
2/3 cup grated, fat-free mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2. Bring 1/2 gallon of salted water to boil. Add the penne and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Add the turkey sausage, season with pepper, and brown. Drain off the excess fat.
4. Add the diced tomatoes and their juice, and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. In a casserole dish, toss the penne, sauce and basil together. Sprinkle with the cheeses. (This can be made ahead and stored unbaked in the refrigerator up to 2 days, or it can be frozen.)
6. Bake until the cheese is bubbly and brown and the dish is thoroughly heated, about 15 to 20 minutes; bake longer if the dish has been refrigerated.
Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cups
Number of Servings: 4
- 36 g
- 11 g
- 4 g
- 22 g
- Saturated Fat
- 3 g
- 819 mg