Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 2 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in grains
rich in veggies
lower in fat
For the fish sauce with hot chilies:
2 ounces serrano chili peppers, (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup Thai fish sauce
For the Fried Rice:
2 tablespoons peanut oil, or vegetable oil
4 to 8 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup oyster mushrooms, sliced
2 cups cooked jasmine rice
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce, (or to taste)
1 teaspoon soy sauce
For the garnish and accompaniments:
about 1/4 cup packed, fresh coriander leaves
1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
4 scallions, trimmed
1 medium tomato, sliced into 8 wedges
4 lime wedges
1/4 cup fish sauce with hot chilies
1. First make the fish sauce with hot chilies. Remove the stems from the chilies and mince into very small pieces. Place the chilies including the seeds in a glass jar or other glass container and add the fish sauce. Set aside.
2. Second, make the fried rice. Heat a medium to large wok over high heat. When the oil begins to sizzle, add the mushrooms, and cook, stirring constantly, until softened, about 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook until just golden.
3. Add the rice, breaking it up with your fingers as you toss it into the wok. With your spatula, keep moving the rice around the wok. At first it may stick, but scoop and toss the rice and soon it will be more manageable. Good fried rice should have a faint seared-in-the-wok taste. Cook for approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tomato, fish sauce and soy sauce. Stir-fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4. Mound the rice onto the center of a platter. Sprinkle with fresh coriander. Around the rice, place a row of overlapping cucumber slices, scallions, tomato and lime wedges. The lime should be squeezed on the rice as you eat it.
5. Pass the fish sauce with hot chilies - the salty hot taste of the sauce brings out the full flavor of the rice.
© 1998 by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. Seductions of Rice: A Cookbook. Artisan, A Division of Workman Publishing, Inc.
Serving Size: about 1 cup of rice
Number of Servings: 4
|Fat||9 g||Fiber||8 g|
|Protein||19 g||Saturated Fat||1 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.