This recipe is...
Orange, Olive and Fennel Salad With Cranberry Vinaigrette
2/3 large head fennel, sliced thinly, stalks and fronds removed
2/3 small sweet red onion, peeled and thinly sliced in rings
1/2 cup mixed olives, such as Nicoise, cracked green or Sicilian
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped sun-dried cranberries
2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
4 teaspoons olive oil
4 teaspoons fresh orange juice
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar (or to taste)
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped, fresh dill
honey to taste
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1. Arrange the oranges, fennel and onions attractively on a plate (fennel should be upright, if possible). Scatter olives around and drizzle vinaigrette over.
For the vinaigrette:
1. Place 1 1/4 cups of cranberry juice in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Continue to boil over high heat until liquid is reduced by half.
2. Separately, add the remaining 1/4 cup cranberry juice and the sun-dried cranberries and allow them to plump.
3. While the juice is reducing, sauté shallots in olive oil until soft, but not brown.
4. In a blender or food processor, puree the reduction and shallots until smooth.
5. Place the mixture in a bowl and whisk in remaining ingredients including the oil and softened cranberries. The vinaigrette can be stored, covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Serving Size: 1 cup salad with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette
Number of Servings: 4
- 34 g
- 6 g
- 5 g
- 2 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1 g
- 309 mg