Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 4 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in veggies
lower in fat
For the salad:
1/3 cup pearl barley
1 1/3 cups vegetable stock
3/4 cup frozen black-eyed peas
3/4 large yellow bell pepper,charred, peeled and diced
3/4 large tomato, seeded and diced (about 3/4 cup)
3/4 cup green onions,sliced on the bias (about 1")
3/4 cup fresh sweet corn kernels
For the dressing:
3 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lime or lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon minced, blanched garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced cilantro
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the barley in a dry saucepan over moderate heat and toast lightly (about 5 minutes). Stir regularly to prevent burning. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently until liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat, partially uncover and allow the barley to cool before stirring.
2. While the barley is cooking, in a separate pot add the black-eyed peas to lightly salted water and cook until just tender but not mushy, 18-20 minutes. Drain, cool and set aside.
3. In a glass bowl layer the barley, black-eyed peas, pepper, tomatoes, onions and corn.
4. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, zest, garlic, cumin, cilantro and oil along with the drops of honey, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the salad.
5. To serve: arrange greens on chilled plates and top with the salad mixture.
Serving Size: about 1/2 cup of salad
Number of Servings: 6
|Fat||4 g||Fiber||4 g|
|Protein||4 g||Saturated Fat||1 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.