Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 1 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in grains
lower in carbs
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
4 stalks celery, finely chopped
4 tart apples (such as Granny Smith), cored and diced
4 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
5 cups cubed whole wheat bread, preferably 2 or 3 days old
1 cup chopped, toasted pecans
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the apples, thyme and sage and continue cooking until the apples soften, but still hold their shape, about 5 more minutes.
3. Transfer the apple mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the bread, pecans and parsley. Add just enough chicken broth to moisten the stuffing and season to taste with salt and pepper.
(This can be made up to 2 days in advance and kept covered in the refrigerator.)
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
5. Bake the stuffing, covered with foil, for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the stuffing is golden brown on the edges, about 5 more minutes.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Number of Servings: 12
|Fat||10 g||Fiber||3 g|
|Protein||3 g||Saturated Fat||1 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.