Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 3 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in grains
lower in fat
2 1/2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh oregano
2 tablespoons minced garlic
7 cups whole-grain wheat flour, more or less may be needed
1. In a large mixer bowl add the water, yeast, salt and honey and mix well. Then add the oil, herbs and garlic. Allow 5 minutes for the yeast to activate.
2. Add half of the whole wheat flour to the yeast mixture. Mix by hand or with the bread hook of a mixer. Continue to add a little flour at a time until all is incorporated onto the bowl. Continue kneading until the dough is no longer sticky, this should take about 7 to 8 minutes. The dough should be a little tacky but never sticky. See Rule of Thumb below.
3. Divide the dough in half. Massage to form two free-form loaves, or punch them into two 9" X 5" X 3" or equivalent loaf pans. Let rise to double in size, about 40 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F.
5. Place the loaves in the center of your preheated oven and bake 40 to 50 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Test by inserting a toothpick or skewer into the center of each loaf and, if it comes out clean, your bread is ready. Remove from the oven, take the bread out of the pans and set on a rack to cool before slicing. This bread will keep 3 to 4 days in an air-tight container. When wrapped air-tight with plastic film it freezes well for 2 months.
Rule of Thumb: "Insert thumb into dough, count to 5, if thumb comes out tacky with dough, add a little more flour and continue massaging until thumb comes clean."
Serving Size: 1 slice of bread
Number of Servings: 2
|Fat||1 g||Fiber||4 g|
|Protein||4 g||Saturated Fat||0 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.