Ratings & Reviews
For the cherry compote:
1 cup red wine such as zinfandel or syrah
1 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons honey
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves star anise
2 whole cloves
1 whole vanilla bean split and scraped, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 ounces pitted fresh Lambert or other variety fresh, non-pie cherries
For the pork loin:
2 1/2 to 3 pounds pork loin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 pound cleaned spinach leaves
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
For the compote:
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the red wine, apple cider, honey, cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, vanilla bean and scrapings. (If using vanilla extract, wait to add until the syrup is removed from the heat.) Bring to a boil, reduce heat and add the cherries.
2. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until syrup consistency is achieved. Remove from heat. Set aside and let cool. This mixture can be made up to 2 days ahead.
For the pork:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Season the pork with 1 teaspoon of the salt.
3. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Brown the pork on the top fat side.
4. Place on a rack in a roasting pan and roast in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer insterted in the center reads 160°F.
5. When the pork is cooked, remove from the oven, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let stand for 15 minutes. Sprinkle the ground black pepper over the top of the pork loin.
6. Warm a medium sauté pan with the remaining olive oil at low heat, add the spinach leaves and wilt them slowly, turning constantly.
7. Add the salt and grated nutmeg. Remove from heat and drain off any excess water after the spinach is cooked.
8. To serve, cut the pork loin into 4 portions. Distribute the spinach onto plates and top each portion with a slice of pork. Spoon the cherry compote over the pork and serve.
Serving Size: 1/4 of the pork loin with cherry compote
Number of Servings: 6
|Fat||16 g||Fiber||1 g|
|Protein||20 g||Saturated Fat||5 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.