Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 1 visitors
This recipe is...
lower in fat
lower in sodium
lower in carbs
1 1/2 pounds lean beef stew meat (top round), cut into 2-inch cubes
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
flour for dredging
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup quartered mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tablespoons sweet, Hungarian paprika
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 cup diced, canned tomatoes
2 cups low-sodium beef broth
1. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Dredge it in flour and shake off the excess.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear the meat on all sides. Adjust the heat so that the meat browns well, but does not burn.
3. Add the onions, peppers, mushrooms, garlic and bay leaf and cook 2 minutes more. Sprinkle the paprika into the pot and stir well to combine.
4. Add the red wine. Stir with a wooden spoon to release any caramelized bits that may be stuck to the bottom of the pan and cook until the wine is almost completely evaporated.
4. Add the tomatoes and the beef broth and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so that the stew simmers and cook until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
5. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, remove the bay leaves and serve in a deep tureen.
Serving Size: 1 bowl
Number of Servings: 4
|Fat||13 g||Fiber||4 g|
|Protein||60 g||Saturated Fat||4 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.