Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 6 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in grains
rich in veggies
lower in fat
lower in sodium
about 3 cups Basic Chicken Stock (see recipe), or low-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup diced onions
1 cup sliced mushrooms (button, shiitake or oyster)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced, fresh thyme
1 cup Arborio rice
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the stock in a saucepan and keep hot over low heat.
2. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a separate medium-sized pot. Add the onion and cook until it turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms become tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook 2 minutes more.
3. Add the rice to the onion mixture, stir and turn the heat to low. Add about 1 cup of the hot stock to the rice mixture, and stir slowly until the stock is absorbed.
4. Continue to add the stock 1 cup at a time, stirring slowly, letting the rice absorb the stock before adding more.
5. The risotto is cooked when it is creamy on the outside and slightly firm (al dente) in the center, about 20 to 25 minutes in all. Stir in half of the Parmesan cheese and the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the risotto is too thick, add a little more stock until it becomes creamy.
6. Divide the risotto into serving dishes and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Serving Size: about 1/2 cup
Number of Servings: 4
|Fat||6 g||Fiber||2 g|
|Protein||10 g||Saturated Fat||2 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.