Ratings & Reviews
This recipe is...
rich in grains
lower in fat
about 3 cups vegetable stock
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup diced onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup fava beans, removed from the pod
1. Heat the stock in a saucepan and keep hot over low heat.
2. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a separate medium-sized pot. Add the onion and cook until it turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
3. Add the rice to the onion mixture, stir and turn the heat to low. Add about 1 cup of the hot stock to the rice mixture, and stir slowly until the stock is absorbed.
4. Continue to add the stock 1 cup at a time, stirring slowly, letting the rice absorb the stock before adding more.
5. While the risotto is cooking, remove the outer shell of each fava bean. Blanch the fava beans in boiling salted water until they are bright green and tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain.
6. The risotto is cooked when it is creamy on the outside and slightly firm (al dente) in the center, about 20 to 25 minutes in all. Stir in half of the Parmesan cheese and half of the fava beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the risotto is too thick, add a little more stock until it becomes creamy.
7. Divide the risotto into serving dishes and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and fava beans.
Serving Size: about 1/2 cup
Number of Servings: 4
|Fat||7 g||Fiber||3 g|
|Protein||11 g||Saturated Fat||3 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.