Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 3 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in veggies
lower in fat
lower in sodium
1 cup dried black beans
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 medium red onion, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 cup corn kernels
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Place the beans in a colander and rinse with cold water. Pick over the beans to remove any stones. Place the beans in a clean pot, cover with fresh cold water and soak for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain.
2. In a large pot, combine the beans, onion quarters, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper with 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1 hour.
4. Drain the liquid from the beans and remove the onions, garlic and bay leaf.
5. Combine the black beans, red onion, green and red pepper and corn in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix the lime juice, vinegar and oil. Pour over the beans and vegetables and toss to combine.
6. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding additional cayenne pepper if you want the salad spicier.
Serving Size: about 3/4 cup of salad
Number of Servings: 4
|Fat||11 g||Fiber||11 g|
|Protein||13 g||Saturated Fat||2 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.