Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 3 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in veggies
lower in sodium
1/2 cup Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette (see recipe)
1 cup dried black beans
1 large yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Make the Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette and set aside.
2. Place the beans in a colander and rinse with cold running water. Pick over the beans and remove any stones or foreign objects. Place the beans in a clean pot, cover with fresh water and soak for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight. Drain the beans.
3. Place the beans, onion, pepper, garlic, pepper, cumin, coriander seeds, salt and cayenne pepper in a large pot. Cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1 hour. Drain the liquid from the beans and reserve for later use.
4. Divide the cooked beans in half. Place one portion in a large saucepan and add 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid. Cook over medium heat until the beans are very soft, about 30 minutes; if necessary, add in liquid while cooking.
5. Drain the beans, reserving the cooking liquid, and place in a large mixing bowl. Mash the beans with a fork until they are smooth and fluffy. If the mixture is too thick, dilute with some of the reserved bean cooking liquid. Blend in the reserved portion of the beans with a spoon and allow the mixture to cool.
6. Form the bean mixture into 8 individual cakes. (This can be done in advance. Store the vinaigrette and the bean cakes, separately, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before proceeding with Step 7.)
7. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 bean cakes at a time and gently sauté on both sides, cooking for about 1 minute on each side.
8. Warm the Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette. Place 2 cakes on each plate and spoon the vinaigrette over and around the cakes.
Serving Size: 2 cakes with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette
Number of Servings: 4
|Fat||12 g||Fiber||9 g|
|Protein||12 g||Saturated Fat||2 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.