Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 3 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in veggies
lower in fat
lower in sodium
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
salt to taste
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
3 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
freshly ground black pepper
pinch cayenne pepper
about 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with 6 cups cold, salted water. Boil the potatoes until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large, non-stick skillet. Add the onion, pepper, garlic, tomatoes and cumin and cook over high heat until lightly browned and dry, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, parsley, chickpeas and potatoes and simmer for a few minutes. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
3. Coarsely puree the chickpea mixture in a food processor, adding the breadcrumbs as a thickener. (Run the machine in short bursts and don't over-process.) Wet your hands and form the mixture into 8 patties. Arrange the patties on a plate spread with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
4. Grill the burgers as described above, spraying the vegetable grate with cooking spray. Alternatively, arrange the burgers on an oiled, non-stick baking sheet, lightly spray the tops with oil and broil. To sauté, add a teaspoon or 2 of oil to a non-stick skillet. Cook the burgers over medium heat until crusty. Whichever method you use, you'll need about 4 to 6 minutes per side cooking time. Turn the burgers with a spatula as gently as you can.
5. Serve the burgers on rolls with onions, tomatoes, lettuce and your favorite condiments.
Serving Size: 1 burger
Number of Servings: 8
|Fat||5 g||Fiber||11 g|
|Protein||17 g||Saturated Fat||0 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.