Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 5 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in grains
rich in veggies
lower in fat
2 large or 4 small globe eggplants
1 pound penne, rigatoni or pasta shells
3 cups tomato sauce
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
4 teaspoons dried oregano, or 1/2 cup chopped, fresh basil
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
pinch hot pepper flakes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Prick the eggplants in a few places with a knife. Place on a baking sheet and roast for about 40 minutes, turning occasionally for even cooking, until it's tender but not falling apart. When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, peel and remove the large seed pockets. Dice the pulp and set it in a drainer to eliminate its bitter juices.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and stir.
3. While the pasta is cooking, warm the tomato sauce in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
4. Add the eggplant and the rest of the ingredients and warm through. (If you like, you may stir in 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil for a bit of richness.)
5. Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper to taste. If the tomatoes are tart, add a pinch of sugar to compensate. When the pasta is al dente, drain and toss with the sauce. Serve at once.
Serving Size: 1/4 pound pasta with about 3/4 cup sauce
Number of Servings: 4
|Fat||4 g||Fiber||14 g|
|Protein||18 g||Saturated Fat||1 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.