This recipe is...
Golden Grain Griddle Cakes with Apple Sizzle
2 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
3/4 cup maple syrup
dash of nutmeg
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup skim milk
1 large egg
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons honey
1. In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the fruit and cook until it begins to soften slightly, about 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add the maple syrup and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Set aside and keep warm.
For the golden grain griddle cakes:
3. Mix the flours, baking powder and salt in a bowl. (This can be done the night before and kept covered on the counter.)
4. Lightly beat the milk, egg, butter and honey together.
5. Add the liquid ingredients all at once to the flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until just moistened. Do not overmix, a few lumps are fine.
6. Warm a lightly greased griddle pan over medium heat. The pan is ready when a few drops of water sprinkled on the griddle form fast-moving bubbles.
7. Pour batter onto the griddle: 1/8 cup for small or 1/4 cup for large pancakes. When the tops of the pancakes are covered with holes and the bottoms are golden brown, flip to brown the other side.
8. Serve the griddle cakes topped with the apple sizzle.
Serving Size: 3 small cakes topped with apple sizzle
Number of Servings: 5
- 66 g
- 8 g
- 3 g
- 5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 4 g
- 362 mg