This recipe is...
Whole Wheat Griddle Cakes with Apple Compote
1/2 cup water
4 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup skim milk
1 large egg
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons honey
1. Bring the sugar and water to a boil over high heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. This will dissolve the sugar and make a syrup.
2. Add the fruit and continue to cook for about 5 to 10 minutes, until just tender.
3. Remove the fruit from the juice and set aside. Reduce the juice over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until it becomes syrupy. Pour the reduced syrup over the cooked fruit, set aside and keep warm.
For the whole wheat griddle cakes:
4. Mix the flours, baking powder and salt in a bowl. (This can be done the night before and kept covered on the counter.)
5. Lightly beat the milk, egg, oil and honey together.
6. Add the liquid ingredients all at once to the flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until just moistened. Do not overmix, a few lumps are fine.
7. Warm a lightly greased griddle pan over medium heat. The pan is ready when a few drops of water sprinkled on the griddle form fast-moving bubbles.
8. Pour batter onto the griddle: 1/8 cup for small or 1/4 cup for large pancakes. When the tops of the pancakes are covered with holes and the bottoms are golden brown, flip to brown the other side.
9. Serve the griddle cakes topped with the apple compote.
Serving Size: 3 small cakes topped with apple compote
Number of Servings: 5
- 81 g
- 4 g
- 4 g
- 5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1 g
- 358 mg