Ratings & Reviews
This recipe is...
rich in veggies
lower in fat
lower in sodium
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 large onion, chopped
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
about 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
4 cups shelled fava beans
1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons non-fat sour cream
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over low-medium heat. Add the celery and onion, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Add the bay leaf, thyme and broth and bring to a boil quickly over high heat.
3. Lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are completely tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Remove and discard the outer shell of each fava bean and add the beans to the soup pot. Simmer until the beans are bright green and tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Blend the cilantro and sour cream together and set aside.
6. Remove the bay leaf and puree the soup in a blender. Strain and adjust the salt and pepper.
7. Serve the soup in bowls with a dollop of cilantro cream.
Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cups
Number of Servings: 6
|Fat||4 g||Fiber||26 g|
|Protein||29 g||Saturated Fat||1 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.