This recipe is...
Black Bean Soup with Fresh Tomato Salsa
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1 tablespoon minced jalapeño chili pepper
freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro stems
6 cups low-sodium canned chicken or vegetable broth
salt to taste
1/2 cup chopped, fresh tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2. Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, green pepper and jalapeņo pepper, season lightly with black pepper and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
3. Add the bay leaf, cilantro stems, beans and broth and bring to a boil quickly over high heat.
4. Lower the heat and simmer until the beans are completely tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, mix the tomatoes, scallions, cilantro and lime juice together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Remove and discard the bay leaf from the soup, puree half of the soup in a blender and then add it to the rest of the soup. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
7. Serve the soup in warm bowls with a dollop of cilantro-lime cream.
NOTE: Do not add salt until the beans are fully cooked because salt will prevent them from becoming tender.
Serving Size: about 1 cup
Number of Servings: 8
- 34 g
- 3 g
- 12 g
- 13 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1 g
- 242 mg