Smoked Oyster and Greens Spoon Bread
2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
1 cup cornmeal, sifted
1 tablespoon butter, melted
3 eggs, separated
1 tablespoon baking powder
15 smoked oysters
1 cup chopped collard or mustard greens, blanched and pressed dry
2. Bring 2/3 of the milk to a boil. Add the cornmeal and butter and stir over medium heat until it thickens. Cool to lukewarm.
3. Beat the egg yolks until they are pale yellow and stir them to the cornmeal batter.
4. Mix the baking powder with the remaining milk and fold it into the batter.
5. Beat the egg whites until they form medium peaks.
6. Fold the oysters and greens into the batter and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the egg whites.
7. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 40 minutes, until a tester placed in the center comes out clean.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Number of Servings: 10
- 17 g
- 6 g
- 3 g
- 9 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2 g
- 299 mg