This recipe is...
1 pound cubed lamb stew meat
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 canned, chopped tomatoes with their juices
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
40 baby carrots
4 small turnips, peeled and cut into 2 x 1/2 inch wedges
2 medium zucchini, cut into 2 x 1/2 inch wedges
Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
2 boxes couscous
about 1 tablespoon harissa sauce
1/2 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
2. Heat the olive oil in a large stew pot over medium heat. Sear the meat on all sides, being careful not to burn the seasonings. Move the seared meat to a platter and set aside. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
3. Add the onions and cook until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stir and cook for one minute. Add the tomates with their juices and the chicken broth. Season lightly with salt and pepper and simmer for 1 hour.
4. Add the carrots and turnips and cook for 10 more minutes. Add the zucchini and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the chickpeas and heat thoroughly.
5. In a separate pot, make the couscous according to the instructions on the package.
6. Remove 1/2 cup of the broth and mix it with the harissa to make a hot sauce to accompany the couscous.
7. Add the cilantro and remove the stew from the heat and put the meat, vegetables and broth into separate bowls and serve them along side the couscous and hot sauce.
Serving Size: 1 bowl
Number of Servings: 8
- 72 g
- 17 g
- 8 g
- 44 g
- Saturated Fat
- 4 g
- 346 mg