Ratings & Reviews
This recipe is...
rich in veggies
lower in sodium
2 pounds pumpkin squash
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, sliced or diced
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
6 to 8 cups chicken stock or water, as needed
1/2 cup cooked rice, optional
1 cup 2% milk
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1. To bake the squash preheat the oven to 400°F. Prick each squash with the point of a knife so it won't explode when it bakes. Bake for about an hour, until the squash feels somewhat soft to the touch and a knife penetrates the skin easily.
2. Let the squash cool until you can handle them without pain. Then cut them in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Scoop out the pulp and reserve.
3. Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over moderate heat.
4. Add the onion and cook until tender and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the spices and cook a few minutes longer.
5. Add the reserved squash and stock or water, bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Puree the soup. Add the milk and season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Put soup back in the pot and add the rice and warm through. Add stock or water as needed. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Serving Size: 1 bowl
Number of Servings: 6
|Fat||8 g||Fiber||3 g|
|Protein||11 g||Saturated Fat||2 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.