Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 1 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in veggies
lower in sodium
1 to 2 hard-skinned winter squash (acorn, banana, or butternut), about 3 pounds
3 tablespoon olive oil, or unsalted butter
1 finely chopped onion (about 1 1/4 cups)
salt and pepper (freshly ground) to taste
3 tablespoons finely minced citron, or 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
chopped fresh mint, flat-leaf parsley or rosemary, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Prick the squash with the tip of a knife and place in a pan in the oven.
3. Bake until tender when pierced, about 50 to 60 minutes, depending on size.
4. Remove from the oven and, when cool enough to handle, cut in half. Scoop out the seeds and fibers and discard. Scoop out the flesh and pass it through a food mill placed over a bowl, or mash it with a potato masher. You should have about 3 cups purée.
5. Warm the olive oil or butter in a sauté pan over low heat. Add the onion and sauté until very soft and sweet, about 15 minutes.
6. Add the puréed squash, season with salt and pepper, and add the citron or lemon zest and cinnamon.
7. Cook over very low heat, stirring often, until dry, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and sprinkle with mint, parsley, or rosemary, if you like.
Serving Size: about 1/2 cup
Number of Servings: 6
|Fat||7 g||Fiber||8 g|
|Protein||2 g||Saturated Fat||1 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.