Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 4 visitors
This recipe is...
rich in grains
lower in fat
lower in sodium
2 cups dried black turtle beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced green pepper
1 jalapeño chili pepper, seeded and minced
freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
4 cups low-sodium canned chicken or vegetable broth
salt to taste
4 cups steamed rice
2 limes, cut into wedges
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1. Soak the beans in water overnight in the refrigerator. Drain the beans and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, green pepper and jalapeño pepper, season lightly with black pepper and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
3. Add the bay leaf, beans and broth and bring to a boil quickly over high heat.
4. Lower the heat and simmer until the beans are completely tender, about 40 minutes.
5. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
6. Meanwhile, heat the rice in the microwave.
7. Serve the rice in warm bowls topped with beans and garnished with lime wedges and cilantro leaves.
NOTE: Do not add salt until the beans are fully cooked because salt will prevent them from becoming tender.
Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cups
Number of Servings: 8
|Fat||5 g||Fiber||13 g|
|Protein||15 g||Saturated Fat||1 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.