Ratings & Reviews
2 pounds extra firm tofu
For the marinade / sauce:
1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh tangerine juice
3 strips tangerine zest
1/4 cup sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed with the side of a cleaver
2 slices fresh ginger (1/4 inch thick), crushed with the side of a cleaver
2 scallions, white part crushed with the side of a cleaver, green part finely chopped and reserved for garnish
1 star anise
slender bamboo skewers for grilling
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds for garnish
1. Place the tofu on a sloping cutting board in your sink. Place a skillet, platter, or other heavy weight on top of the tofu. Press for 60 minutes. This makes the tofu firm and dry enough for grilling. Cut each block of tofu widthwise into 4 slices and arrange in a baking dish.
2. Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a mixing bowl and whisk to mix. Pour the marinade over the tofu. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours, turning the tofu pieces several times so they marinate evenly.
3. Strain the marinade into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Briskly simmer the marinade uncovered until reduced to a thick, syrupy glaze, 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Brush and oil the grill grate. Skewer the tofu pieces through the narrow end, 2 skewers per piece. Arrange the resulting kebabs on the grate. Grill the tofu until sizzling and well browned, 4 to 6 minutes per side. (Protect the skewers with strips of foil if they start to burn.) Baste the tofu with the glaze as it cooks.
5. Transfer the tofu to plates or a platter and drizzle with any remaining glaze. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and reserved scallion greens and serve at once.
Serving Size: 2 pieces
Number of Servings: 4
|Fat||18 g||Fiber||0 g|
|Protein||17 g||Saturated Fat||3 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.