Ratings & Reviews
This recipe is...
rich in grains
lower in fat
lower in carbs
1 ounce dried mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup canned, chopped, Italian tomatoes
2 cups cooked, hot pearl barley
1. Place the mushrooms in a microwave safe bowl and add 1 cup of water. Microwave on low power for 1 minute and let stand for 5 minutes. Lift the mushrooms from the liquid and rinse them under cold water to remove any grit. Strain the liquid through a fine sieve lined with a paper towel and reserve the liquid.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. While the oil heats, season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and brown on all sides.
3. Add the wine, let it boil rapidly for a minute and stir with a wooden spoon to remove any bits that may be stuck to the pan.
4. Add the mushrooms, reserved liquid and the tomatoes. Turn down the heat so that the mixture simmers slowly and place a lid, slightly ajar, over the skillet. Cook until the chicken is completely tender, about 10 minutes. Taste the cooking liquid and adjust the salt and pepper.
5. Divide the barley among 4 bowls and spoon the chicken mixture over the top.
Serving Size: 1 bowl with barley
Number of Servings: 4
|Fat||11 g||Fiber||4 g|
|Protein||27 g||Saturated Fat||2 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.