This recipe is...
Roast Chicken with Orange, Lemon and Ginger
1 roasting chicken, about 5 pounds
grated zest of 1 lemon, with remaining lemon cut into quarters
grated zest of 1 orange, with remaining orange cut into quarters
3 tablespoons peeled and grated fresh ginger root
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper
5 tablespoons olive oil or melted margarine
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
4 tablespoons pomegranate juice in place of some of the lemon juice, optional
3 tablespoons honey
orange sections for garnish
2. In a small bowl, stir together the lemon and orange zests and 1 tablespoon of the grated ginger. Rub this mixture evenly in the cavity of the chicken. Put the lemon and orange quarters inside the bird.
3. Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
4. In the now-empty small bowl, combine the melted margarine or olive oil, lemon and orance juices (or use pomegranate juice in place of an equal amount of lemon juices), honey, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of ginger.
5. Place the chicken in the oven and roast, basting with the citrus juice mixture at least 4 times during cooking, until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a knife, about 1 hour.
6. Transfer to a serving platter and let rest 10 to 15 minutes. Carve the chicken. Garnish with the orange sections and serve.
Serving Size: 1/4 chicken
Number of Servings: 4
- 20 g
- 22 g
- 1 g
- 35 g
- Saturated Fat
- 3 g
- 121 mg